Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    andres99
    Participant

I purchased EmEditor Standard after a careful consideration between different text editors. One of the main criteria for me was absolute capability as regards codepages and line endings (conversion, opening options, saving options, etc.), including encoding into, and recognizing, UTF-8 without BOM.

And I must say that I am absolutely satisfied: even with the standard version, which is smaller and thus loads faster, being able to completely replace NotePad.

My particular vote goes to configurability, which was the decisive factor because there are several other text editors also capable of managing all codepages and line endings. Among other things, the menu configurability and selection of commands are superb.

For my use, I added a special main menu called “Encoding”, and thereunder I collected all related settings. The menu includes:

Reload as UTF-8
    Reload Detect All
    Reload as System Default
    Save as System Default
    Save as UTF-8 with BOM
    [I still miss a command to save as UTF-8 without BOM]
    Save Returns as CR+LF (Win)
    Save Returns as LF (Linux + MAC)
    Save Returns as CR (Old MAC)
    Reload as … (full selection of codepages)
    Save as… (full selection of codepages)

This menu comes in extremely handy and in a couple of days I have already grown used to it as if it has always been there.

Therefore, maybe it would be a good idea to add such an Encoding menu officially to all new versions, and maybe there should be a special command to save as UTF-8 without BOM.

Nevertheless, I am very thankful for this software and I can say it is worth buying.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

I had Save as … (encoding) commands in the main menu at a certain beta version, but some people (including me) found complicated, and even worse, deliberately chose a Save as … (encoding) command where they meant to reload with a correct encoding, and ruined existing files. That is why I hid these commands into the All Commands, but you can easily define your menus.

Unfortunately, Save as UTF-8 without BOM is not in a command list, but if you had EmEditor Professional, you would be able to write a simple JavaScript macro like this:

document.UnicodeSignature = false;
    document.Save();

You would be able to assign this macro to a menu item, and insert the menu item to anywhere you would like.

Thanks for your nice comments!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.