The snippets plug-in allows you to insert words and phrases quickly improving your speed and proficiency at creating documents. Snippets are pieces of text that you can insert into your document and may contain plain text, placeholders, shell code, macros, or regular expressions to transform text and various built-in and user-defined parameters. The Snippets plug-in allows multiple lines. The snippet tree includes not only snippets, but also macros. These macros don't need to be saved as a file.
Snippets are very easy to use in EmEditor. To insert a snippet you need only type the assigned trigger string. Then a tooltip will appear; press TAB and the snippet will be auto-completed. You can view all of the available snippets by selecting the Snippets button on the Plug-ins toolbar. The default snippet tree includes pre-defined snippets, sorted into appropriate folders. Each one of these folders, and consequently the snippets within them, are associated with set configurations. To view these configurations next to the folder name, right click in the custom bar and under the view menu, select configurations. You can adjust the properties of the Snippets Plug-in by right-clicking the Snippets button on the Plug-ins toolbar and selecting Properties.
Snippets plug-in features:
- Trigger strings and shortcut keys (Tab by default) can be specified.
- Tooltip hints can be specified; the tooltip appears when the trigger string matches the typed string. The tooltip verbosity and delay time can be adjusted.
- TAB and SHIFT + TAB can be used to jump between placeholders.
- Snippets and macros text can be edited in the EmEditor editor.
- The plug-in can work in the background even when the Snippets custom bar is hidden (set in the Plug-in properties).
- Global parameters can be specified.
- The Interface object can be used to communicate between snippets and macros.
- The plug-in can easily import EmEditor and TextMate snippets by the Import command or drag and drop snippet files from Explorer to the Snippets tree.
EmEditor dynamic snippets are very customizable and improve your speed and proficiency at creating documents, as well as, make inserting words and phrases smooth, simple and quick.