FAQMain »» Install
|Can you tell me how to install the new version of EmEditor?|
|You can install the new version of EmEditor by downloading the latest version from the EmEditor Home page. The steps are as follows:
1. If the tray icon is running, close it. To close the tray icon, right click on the tray icon on the task bar, and select Close Tray Icon.
2. Uninstall the previous version of EmEditor from Control Panel.
3. If the message box "Do you want to keep EmEditor settings before they are completely uninstalled?" appears, select "Yes" if you need to keep all your previous settings. It is recommended to select "No" unless you need to keep all your previous settings.
4. Select the type of EmEditor and the version of OS that you want by clicking one of the following links:
5. When you click the link for download, the File Download - Security Warning dialog box appears:
6. Clicking the Run button should start the downloading, and the Internet Explorer - Security Warning dialog box appears:
7. Click Publisher: Emurasoft, Inc.
8. Make sure you read This digital signature is OK in the Digital Signature Details dialog. If this phrase does not appear in the dialog box, the downloaded file is corrupted, and you will need to clear the Temporary Internet files, and try downloading again. Click OK to close the dialog box.
9. Clicking the Run button will launch the Setup. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to proceed with the setup.
|I am using a previous version of EmEditor. Can I install a newer version of EmEditor without uninstalling the previous version?|
|If you have been using a version of EmEditor v3.00 or newer, and want to maintain the same configurations, you do not need to uninstall the previous version. You can install the newest version with the same destination folder. However, before you install the newer version, you should exit all EmEditor windows including the Tray Icon. If you are asked to restart Windows during the installation, you should restart Windows.
If you have been using a version of EmEditor older than v3.00, or don't want to maintain the same configurations of EmEditor, we recommend uninstalling the previous version completely and rebooting the computer before installing the newer version of EmEditor. The steps are as follows:
1. Click the Start button and select Control Panel from the Start menu. Select the EmEditor (or EmEditor v3) from the Add or Remove Programs. Click the Delete button.
2. Reboot Windows when uninstalling is complete.
3. Install the new version.
|Can both the old version of EmEditor and new version of EmEditor coexist on the same computer?|
|No. The old version of EmEditor and new version of EmEditor can't coexist on the same computer.
|Installation folder is set to C:\Program Files\EmEditor3. Is this correct?|
|By default, the installation folder for EmEditor v3 is set to C:\Program Files\EmEditor3. For EmEditor v4, the default installation folder is set to C:\Program Files\EmEditor. If you have installed EmEditor v4 without uninstalling EmEditor v3, the installation folder remains the same as the previous version (in this case C:\Program Files\Emeditor3).|
|What do I do if EmEditor crashes when starting or editing?|
|1. If you have plug-ins installed, remove all plug-ins from the plug-ins folder, and try running EmEditor again.
2. If the problem persists, select Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel to uninstall EmEditor. Reboot your PC, and reinstall EmEditor.
3. If EmEditor crashes only when opening UTF-8 or Unicode files, select Font under the View menu, select Normal from the Character set list, select the Change button beside the Display Font box and check if the proper font is selected.
|How can I remove the EmEditor Tray Icon permanently?|
|Run the EmEditor installation again and make sure the Add the tray icon on the task bar check box is unchecked during the setup. This way you will not see the Tray Icon any more. You do not need to uninstall EmEditor before running the installation again. If this does not work, select Search from the Windows Start menu, and search for "emeditor.lnk". This file should be located in the Startup folder. Delete this file to remove the tray icon permanently.|
|How can I install EmEditor without displaying dialog boxes?|
|During normal installation, dialog boxes will be displayed, and a user must click the "Next" button or set options. However, when you install EmEditor into multiple computers in corporate or group environments, you might want to use a batch or scripting file to automate the installation. EmEditor uses Windows Installer for installation, and the "quiet" installation is possible.
For instance, if the EmEditor installation file is emed32_13.0.0.exe, running the following command:
emed32_13.0.0 /exenoui /q
will install EmEditor with default settings without displaying any dialog boxes.
If you wish to change the default settings, you can use following options:
NOCHECKUPDATES disables checking new versions of EmEditor periodically via the Internet.
NOCONTEXTMENU disables adding a shortcut to the Context Menu on Explorer.
NODESKTOP disables adding a shortcut to the Desktop.
NOIEEDITOR disables adding EmEditor to Internet Explorer HTML editor list.
NOIEVIEW disables View Source by EmEditor on Internet Explorer.
NOPATH disables adding the path to EmEditor to the PATH environment variable.
NOSHORTCUT disables adding a shortcut to the Program menu.
NOTRAYICON disables the tray icon.
NOTXT disables the association of text files.
REGNAME=name enters the name of licensee.
REGKEY=xxxxxx enters a registration key.
For instance, if you wish to install EmEditor specifying a registration key and the name of licensee, run:
emed32_13.0.0 /exenoui /q REGKEY=xxxxx REGNAME=name
emed32_13.0.0 /exenoui /q NODESKTOP=1
There are many options for Windows Installer. For details, run:
to display the list of available commands.
On Windows Vista or later, the installer must be run on Administrator privilege to avoid the User Account Control prompt. For instance, If you run the installer from Command Prompt, you will have to open the Command Prompt window by right-clicking the Command Prompt icon while pressing the SHIFT key, and then select Run as administrator.
|How can I change the install folder?|
|By default, the install folder is the same folder as the previous version, or \Program Files\EmEditor if this is a fresh install. To change the install folder, open Command Prompt, and run the installer with the TARGETDIR option.
For instance, if the EmEditor installation file is emed700epx.msi, and if you want to install EmEditor to C:\path, run the following command:
A backslash \ is required at the end of the folder name.
More than one version of EmEditor cannot coexist on the same computer. If an old version is already installed, you must uninstall the old version first, or install the new version to the same folder as the old version.
|How can I install an EmEditor syntax file?|
|1. Choose Select Configuration under the Tools menu.
2. Click Define Configuration at the very bottom of the list.
3. Click the New button, select Use Default Configuration and click OK.
4. Enter a descriptive name and click Enter.
5. Click the Properties button and select the Highlight (1) tab.
6. Click on the Import button, locate, and open the appropriate syntax file.
7. Finally, click on OK to close the Properties dialog box and click on Close to close the Configurations dialog box.
If you want to enable associated extensions and specify an extension or extensions that EmEditor should associate with the configuration, follow these additional steps:
8. Make sure the correct configuration is selected under the Tools menu.
9. Click Properties for Current Configuration under the Tools menu.
10. Select the Association tab and check the Enable Association box.
11. Click Add and enter the appropriate extension or extensions.
|I am using a new version (or a new beta version) of EmEditor. Can I install an older version of EmEditor without uninstalling the new version?|
|No. You should unistall the new version of EmEditor before installing an older version of EmEditor. Failure to do so might cause some new DLL files to remain in the install directory, which can be incompatible with the older version of EmEditor. Before you uninstall the newer version, you should exit all EmEditor windows including the Tray Icon. When you uninstall the new version, you will be asked to keep all the settings. Selecting YES will keep all the settings that may be used in the older version of EmEditor. If you are asked to restart Windows during the installation, you should restart Windows.|
|When EmEditor Professional is installed, the associated text file icon does not become one of EmEditor's icons.|
EmEditor Professional does not change the text file icon from Windows system icon any more. If you prefer one of EmEditor's icons for text files, run EmEditor, select Customize on the Tools menu, select the File tab, click the Associate with EmEditor button. Select the "txt" icon in the list, click the Properties button, enter emedres.dll file in EmEditor folder (usually C:\Program Files\EmEditor\emedres.dll) in the Sample Icon from This File text box, and select the txt icon in the Current Icon list box.
|EmEditor does not run.|
|If Trend Micro Internet Security is installed, and the latest security update is installed, EmEditor may not run. Uninstalling Trend Micro Internet Security or removing the shortcut to Trend Micro Internet Security on the Desktop will resolve this issue.|