LifeTimer
Participant

Ok, thanks for the clarification!

Too bad about the tabs in the Output Bar though, I’d really need some efficient way to run several external tools at the same time and still get all their results. :-(

I just tried to instead solve this by choosing “Create New Document” as the output method of the External Tool. I immediately stumbled into three different problems with this though:

I found a bug related to the “Create New Document” output method I think: If I start the first instance of the tool with one selection of text in the document (i.e., the tool in question gets its input from $(CurText)), and then start a second instance of the tool before the first one has completed its execution, I get the dialog discussed above about terminating the first instance. If I select “No” there, the second instance starts, and when it finishes, two new documents are opened in EmEditor with results, but both of them contain the results of the second instance, while the results from the first instance is gone. (the same happens if I run three parallel tools of this type, i.e. three tabs are then opened, but all of them just contain the results of the last started job out of the three)

The dialog that pops up each time asking me if I want to terminate the currently running job disrupts my workflow.

The fact that the new documents pop up in the foreground (that is, that they are created AND switched over to from the original document that I’m working in) completely disrupts the workflow too.

In order to solve this, I would humbly ask you if it would be possible to:

A) Fix the bug that I mention above in point 1.

B) Make it possible to “remember the answer” of the “do you want to terminate the current tool job” dialog, so that it never pops up again.

C) Make it optional to output the results in a new document that will not be switched over to in the editor, i.e. a “background document” (just like you can open links into new tabs in web browsers, without actually switching over to that tab automatically at the same time).

Would this be possible?