Yes, I know that but what I meant was more the feature to “improve” autodetection.

For example, my native codepage on Windows XP is Windows-1257 (Baltic). For comfortability reasons, the “Opening encoding” for plaintext files is set as “System Default” (i.e. 1257).

I also work with some other codepages like Windows-1251 (Cyrillic), ISO-8859-15 (Latin 9, Pan European), ISO-8859-1, KOI-8 (Cyrillic) and, of course, UTF-8 / UTF-16.

Now, when I open UTF, there is no problem. Everything is detected automatically. There is no problem either when I open Windows-1257 files.

But when I open a Windows-1251 file (no matter whether I have Always display detect all result checked or not), EmEditor displays this in Windows-1257.

Another example, I have an ISO-8859-1 text file and when I open it, EmEditor thinks this is Windows-1257 again. When I use Reload as -> Detect All, EmEditor makes the correct guess that the file is ISO-8859-1.

When I open the same files in SuperEdi, I already get the correct display (SuperEdi detects the codepages without asking from me).

Now, what I meant was that EmEditor could have an option to automatically display a file in the most probable codepage (which I can already see in DetectAll results).

More specifically, when I open the Windows-1251 file, which is displayed incorrectly as Windows-1257, when I press “Detect All”, the box already shows that this file is most probably Windows-1251. (EmEditor actually knows the correct or most probable codepage!) However, EmEditor still opens this in Windows-1257.

Since EmEditor actually seems to understand the correct codepage but for some reason does not open it correctly (maybe because the opening encoding for text files is set as “System default”, I thought something like this:

There could be an option in EmEditor called “Always open files with autodetected codepage” or “Autodetect codepages without asking” (which means “without displaying the “detect all” dialog”). In that case, EmEditor should internally operate DetectAll, discover that the most probable codepage for the file is e.g. Windows-1251 and then apply this codepage.

It seems that EmEditor is capable of this anyway (because in DetectAll, the correct codepage is already displayed but it is not applied).

I know that there could be mistakse but if EmEditor detects the codepage incorrectly, I can always use “Reopen” or uncheck the autodetection option. Presently I have checked about 100 files and EmEditor’s detect all has always discovered the right codepage. Therefore, I think, that the mistakes are not very probable (of course they can sometimes occur).

I do not have presently any big problems with that because I can really always use the AutoDetect dialog, but it would be much more comfortable to open any file right away with the correct (or most probable) codepage (without asking the user). Just comfortability :)

As to pragmatics, since I think that “Detect all” discovers the right codepage correctly in most cases, anyway, it would be more comfortable to have the files opened with autodetected codepages (and not always to use “detect all” manually. In those rare cases when a mistake occurs (or may occur), one can use “detect all” (from “Reload as”).