Search the FAQs
If you are having trouble installing, uninstalling or updating EmEditor, please refer to the following tips. We apologize for any inconveniences.
- If you use Trend Micro, Avast, or any other Antivirus or Security software, temporarily disable the software and install EmEditor.
- Close all currently running programs including icons in the Taskbar notification area.
- Check if the Windows system is up to date by Update Windows, and then restart Windows.
- Use the Disk Cleanup to clean system files. To start Disk Cleanup, search for Disk Cleanup from the Start menu, click the Clean up system files, and clean all files.
- Delete all files in the %TEMP% folder, and restart Windows.
- If the error message that says “The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.” appears while trying to update or install EmEditor, first locate the installer of the previous version. The installer of the previous version can be found in one of the C:\ProgramData\Emurasoft\EmEditor\updates\update… folders. Some old versions can be downloaded at http://files.emeditor.com/emed64_xx.x.x.exe (64-bit) or http://files.emeditor.com/emed32_xx.x.x.exe (32-bit) where “x” represents a version number. For instance, in case of v15.6.1 (64-bit), it becomes http://files.emeditor.com/emed64_15.6.1.exe. Extract the installer with the “/extract” option in Command Prompt. For example, if the installer is “emed64_15.6.1.exe”, you would run: “emed64_15.6.1.exe /extract”. This will create a sub folder with file contents. Inside the folder, you will find a file with the file extension “.msi”, in this case “emed64_15.6.1.msi“. Click the Browse button in the above dialog box, and specify the .msi file.
- If unable to update, first uninstall the old version from Control Panel, and restart Windows. Make sure the old EmEditor install folder is empty (usually C:\Program Files\EmEditor or %LOCALAPPDATA%\Programs\EmEditor), and then install a new version.
- Use Microsoft Fix it tool to check the system for Windows Installer.
- Check the hard disk by Chkdsk command in the Command Prompt run as administrator. This process might take several hours.
- Check the system by sfc /SCANNOW command in the Command Prompt run as administrator. This process might take several hours.
- The Windows System Restore might be able to restore your computer settings to an earlier date.
- If there are permission issues while trying to uninstall EmEditor, try creating a new administrative account, and uninstall with the new account.
- GeekUninstaller (freeware) or Revo Uninstaller (freeware) might be able to help you uninstall an old version.
- If the Check for Updates fails, select Customize Update Checker on the Help menu, and make sure the Download Folder specifies a writable folder. The default is C:\ProgramData\Emurasoft\EmEditor\updates.
If it still fails, please download the newest version, and run the downloaded installer.
- When updating EmEditor, if a system restart is required, close all applications before updating EmEditor. In particular, Brother Control Center (BrCtrlCntr.exe), which comes with Brother printers, might open the EmEditor folder, and thus please close the Control Center you might find in the Taskbar Notification Area. If the problem persists, use Process Explorer and search for any open handles to the EmEditor install folder when a system restart is prompted.
- To report issues during the install, run the installer with the “/L*V log.txt” option. For instance, if the installer is emed64_21.0.0.msi, run “msiexec /i emed64_21.0.0.msi /L*V log.txt”. If installing to the whole computer, the Command Prompt is required to run as Administrator. To report issues during the uninstall, run the installer corresponding to the version you want to uninstall with the “/L*V log.txt” option. Zip the log file “log.txt”, and email to our support at tech at emurasoft.com with detail information.
- If EmEditor complains that “eeupdate.exe” is missing during EmEditor install or launching EmEditor, Antivirus software seemed to delete the eeupdate.exe file while EmEditor was installed or launched. Please consider disabling the antivirus while installing EmEditor, or add the file to exception list of the antivirus. If this doesn’t work, you can install EmEditor without copying eeupdate.exe. To do this, when you install, select “Custom” install, in the Custom Setup screen, expand the “Program Shortcuts and Association” and disable “Check Updates”. Alternatively, you can create the “CheckUpdates” value as REG_DWORD in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EmSoft\EmEditor v3\Common key, and assign 0. Either of the above methods will completely disable the update checker and the eeupdate.exe will not be searched anymore.
- If the “Called RunScript when not marked in progress.” message appears, please check the permissions include writable on C:\Windows\Temp folder.
- If you run EmEditor on a PC where the Internet connection is unavailable, you might run into an issue such as:
– A warning dialog box “The digital signature of a program file could not be verified.” appears when you try to launch EmEditor.
– The digital signature of EmEditor files (such as emeditor.exe and .msi installers) cannot be verified.
– EmEditor launch becomes slow.
- By default, EmEditor is installed as a per-user install, and EmEditor will be installed to C:/Users/(username)/AppData/Local/Programs/EmEditor. You cannot change this default path unless you select a per-computer install while installing EmEditor. We recommend accepting the default per-user install and the default install path because it will be safer and easier to update in the future.
- By default, the Installation Type dialog in the Installer is disabled, and you cannot select the Everybody (all users) option. We recommend accepting the default per-user install because it will be safer and easier to update in the future. However, if you really need to select the Everybody (all users) option while installing EmEditor, you must specify MSIINSTALLPERUSER=”” option in the command line. For instance, if the EmEditor installation file is emed64_21.1.0.msi, you will need to press Win(⊞)+R keys to bring up the Run dialog box, and enter the following command:
msiexec /i "(...path...)emed64_21.1.0.msi" MSIINSTALLPERUSER=""
- How do I create a column that depends on other columns or rows?
- How do I disable adjusting column positions when opening CSV files?
- How do I disable CSV detection?
- How do I enable TSV (tab-separated) file detection?
- How do I open Excel files with EmEditor?
- How do I round numbers in a column to 2 decimal places?
- How do you convert a CSV file to use different delimiters?
- How do you convert CSV to fixed-width columns?
- How do you remove embedded newlines in a CSV document?
- Other CSV questions
- After updating EmEditor to the newest version, how do I add the new commands to a menu or add the new keyboard shortcuts?
- Can EmEditor encode Unicode characters as “Numerical Character References” (NCRs – those &#xx; codes) when saving HTML or XML files?
- How do I associate extensions to configurations?
- How do I change the email app that is opened when clicking on an email address?
- How do I change the user interface language?
- How do I copy the configuration properties from one machine to another?
- How do I define two-keystroke keyboard shortcuts?
- How do I install an EmEditor syntax file?
- How do I open the Input Method Editor (IME) automatically when running EmEditor?
- How do I set the web browser that is opened when clicking on a URL?
- There is no encoding available in the Reload sub menu under the File menu except Same Encoding, Detect All, System Default, UTF-16LE, UTF-16BE, UTF-8, and UTF-7. How do I add more code pages?
- What is “HTML” and “HTML-Embedded” in Special Syntax combo box on the Highlight (2) tab of Properties?
- Other Customize Questions
- Are there Undo and Redo commands for the cursor position?
- Can I insert control characters such as form feeds?
- How do I assign a shortcut key to insert a special character?
- How do I check spelling?
- How do I make a data file of fixed-length records without newlines easier to read?
- How do I select the text with the keyboard?
- How do I sort lines in alphabetical or numerical order?
- How do I undo inserted strings character by character using the Undo command?
- I cannot paste text correctly when the content in the Clipboard has been copied from another application such as Netscape Navigator.
- The Find Matching Parenthesis/Bracket command doesn’t work. How do I enable this command?
- The sort commands are disabled. What are the conditions that disable the sort commands?
- Other Editing FAQ
- EmEditor is specified as an external text editor from another application. Why doesn’t the change made by EmEditor reflect in the application?
- How do I close all windows with one click?
- How do I convert file encodings through the command line?
- How do I increase the font of printed documents?
- How do I open an XML file as Western European, not as UTF-8?
- How do I open from the same folder in the open dialog?
- How do I paste a Japanese (or Korean, Chinese, etc.) Word document into EmEditor and save as a text file?
- How do I prevent other apps from modifying a file that is opened in EmEditor?
- How do I print my document in color or in black and white?
- How do I save an empty file?
- How do I start a new Java file or XML file as Western European, not as UTF-8?
- I want to double click on a file in File Explorer to open it with EmEditor. How do I accomplish this?
- What are three invalid characters at the beginning of my file?
- What can I do to open very large files faster?
- When opening a file, EmEditor detects the file as a Western European even though it is actually a Japanese (Shift JIS) file.
- When reading Macintosh text files, some characters are converted to different characters. How do I read Macintosh text files correctly?
- When using a shared folder on a network, is it possible to prevent other users from making changes to a file?
- Other File Questions
- How do I install the new version of EmEditor?
- How do I change the associated text file icons?
- How do I change the install folder?
- How do I install EmEditor without displaying dialog boxes?
- How do I remove EmEditor from the “Open with” File Explorer context menu ?
- How do I remove the EmEditor Tray Icon?
- How do I transfer my EmEditor settings to another machine?
- How do I uninstall EmEditor?
- How do you set up Git to use EmEditor as the default text editor?
- I have uninstalled EmEditor. When I double click on a file associated with EmEditor, I can’t open the file. How do I fix this?
- If I cannot find EmEditor in “Apps & features”, how do I uninstall EmEditor?
- Installation Troubleshooting
- My security software blocks downloading because the domain switched from emeditor.com to emeditor.info.
- The “User Account Control (UAC) prompts are required to update” notification appears when EmEditor is launched. How should I resolve this?
- What do I do if EmEditor crashes when starting or editing?
- When I try to install EmEditor, the “Error deleting file” message appears.
- Other Installation Questions
- How do I enter a multiple-line string as a search string in the Find/Replace dialog box?
- How do I erase all of the previous words in the Find box?
- How do I filter a column by a certain range of numbers?
- How do I filter a file based on millions of search strings?
- How do I find/replace by date?
- How do I search for a word at the beginning of lines or a word at the end of lines?
- How do you count the number of identical lines in a document?
- How do you extract lines that contain a certain string?
- I would like the Find dialog box to show the previously searched string, not the word at the cursor.
- Other Find Questions
- How do I do a Google search for the word at the current cursor position?
- I want to compile the opened file with an external tool in Command Prompt. How do I keep the Command Prompt window from closing after the compilation is finished?
- What are some examples of External Tools configurations?
- Other Tools FAQ
- Different fonts are used when opening different files, or the font used for a new file is different. How do I always use the same font?
- How do I add an icon to the toolbar?
- How do I add the Marks button to the Toolbar?
- How do I change the UI to dark theme?
- How do I decode Numeric Character References (“&#xx”) in Unicode characters?
- How do I display URLs without breaking at specific characters (such as , (comma))?
- How do I find the newline type (e.g. CR, LF, CR+LF) for each line?
- How do I highlight previously searched strings more than once with different colors?
- How do you select a large number of lines?
- I display line numbers on the left edge of EmEditor window. When a line is wrapped, I do not want to see the line number incremented within the logical line. How do I configure this behavior?
- The cursor vertical line is thin. Can it be thicker?
- What are logical coordinates and display coordinates? What is a logical line?
- When do I use Font Category under the View menu?
- When I open a file using the default settings, it becomes unreadable, and if I choose another character set from the Font Category sub menu under the View menu, it becomes worse. But if I select a proper encoding when I open the file, it works. Why?
- Other View Questions
- How do I make EmEditor open with the window maximized?
- How do I save the current positions of all EmEditor windows, and open all the windows at the same positions next time?
- How do I save the EmEditor window size, and always open EmEditor windows at the same size?
- Is there a way to make EmEditor move through document tabs in sequential order from left to right?
- Why doesn’t the Cascade or Tile command work?
- Other Window Questions