January 24, 2017 at 3:32 pm #21490
1. CSV is slow
I find moving around and editing a 56kb (file size) csv file to be very slow eg characters show up slower than I type. I find this strange since emeditor is very fast with large text files. Microsoft Excel handles the same csv file without slow downs. Is there anything I can do to speed things up?
2. How to wrap cell content in csv?
Notice that cells without multiple lines wraps content just fine. However, cells with multiple lines will not wrap content. Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks for reading.January 29, 2017 at 10:52 am #21491
1. I can’t reproduce slowness of CSV files. Can you send me a sample file at tech @ emurasoft.com? I will try to reproduce the issue. Please add detailed procedure to reproduce the issue.
2. Newlines are expresssed as ^M^J (reversed M and J), whicn means CR + LF. According to CSV specifications, cells including newline(s) must be surrounded by double-quotes. Please refer to CSV specifications. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values
Thanks!January 30, 2017 at 8:33 am #21492
I received your email. Thank you.
1. I believe you are talking about the cursor movement within a cell when you are editing it. This is due to the Cell toolbar, which synchronizes the cursor position with the cell in the editor. You might want to disable (hide) the Cell toolbar. Clear the “Automatically Show/Hide Cell Toolbar” menu in the Cell toolbar button. Nevertheless, I will try to optimize this for speed.
2. This is how EmEditor shows multiple lines in a cell. Since EmEditor is developed as a text editor, not Excel, it is NOT easy to show wrapped lines in a cell as Excel does. The current style is a compromise where EmEditor still can handle embedded newlines in a cell while not loosing its speed.
Thanks,January 31, 2017 at 2:36 am #21494
re: 1. I tried turning off the cell toolbar. No difference. Seems the bigger the csv file, the slower it becomes. I look forward to the optimization. For now, I will use the “associated” program feature.
re: 2. – i see. Thanks.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.