Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    zhouzh2
    Participant

Hi Yutaka,
    I find this when playing around v10.

a
    b

I want to make a zero width vertical selection after ‘a’ and before ‘b’, but the cursor keeps jumping to line end.

P.S. v10 is great :-)

CaptainFlint
    Participant

It’s not a bug, it’s a feature! If you make a zero-width selection it automatically spreads to the ends of each line wherever these ends are located (to append text to each line easily). If you wish a vertical column beyond the text, make it non-zero width.

zhouzh2
    Participant

Hi Flint,
    I know there is a feature like this. But this is a bug. Spreading the cursor to the ends of each line by doing a zero-width selection after each line makes sense, but not when doing a zero-width selection only after the first line:
    by doing:

a|
    |b

to get:

a|
    b|

This, I think, sould be a bug.

CaptainFlint
    Participant

Sorry, I did not notice that you were talking about selection that was only partially outside. In this case I agree that this behaviour requires attention.

On the second thought, though, it’s quite convenient way to append something to the end of several lines some of which are very long, and you don’t want to scroll so far (because first lines will become invisible and it will be hard to remember where to start).

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello zhouzh2,

This is currently specification. What if the second line wraps by window? EmEditor currently judges only by the first line. I notice someone might insert a selection like this example, but currently there is no way to insert the selection like this. I might have to add an option to make this possible in future versions. Thanks for comments, Flint.

zhouzh2
    Participant

Hi Yutaka,
    I see. When lines wrap by window, things get complicated.
    How about disable this automated feature when wrapping is on? because normally when a user makes a vertical selection when wrapping is on, he is not trying to append each line, since visually his cursor is not all at the end of each line but partly in the middle of some lines.
    So, this automated feature will only be enabled when:
    1. line wrap is off.
    2. vertical selection of zero width at the right of the end of all lines.
    what do you think? :-)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.