Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jason
    Participant

I’d like if the snippets were included in the word complete plugin. Say, if “else {tab}” was a snippet and you typed in “el”, the wordcomplete “else” and the snippet both came up in the dropdown. See: http://i.imgur.com/bulvO1n.png

Also a plugin for code hinting would be great too. It would look up syntax functions from an external file and functions in the current document and would display in either a snippet format or a tooltip as you’re typing. It would show how many parameters it requires, what order they must be inserted in, etc
    See: http://i.stack.imgur.com/uKRWe.png

Also another option in the highlighting is changed line number color/background. Currently changed line numbers become bold, but this feature would let you change the color too.

I also see emeditor has little multiple cursor (similar to expand selection, but a zero length selection) support. It would be nice for macros if you could create a multiple cursor on the fly. This makes it so you can type in more than one place at a time. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYScVZJhdlo

Also I notice that you can make vertical selections at the end of lines, but you can start and stop them. If you stop and try to make more vertical selections using the control key, nothing happens. This is similar to creating multiple cursors..

Move lines is also a must. Notepad++ and sublime have it as ctrl+shift up/down.

Thanks for making the best editor out there (trust me I’ve tried them all)!

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Jason,

Currently, the Word Complete plug-in can’t communicate with the Snippets plug-in. This is something that we have to improve in future versions.

You can look up syntax functions by using the Project plug-in. The “Parameter Information” button on the toolbar reveals the function parameters when the cursor is at a function.

You can extend the selection using SHIFT + Arrow keys. You can press SHIFT + F8 to switch starting and ending points to move both the beginning and ending points, but I understand you want to move both at the same time. I also understand that you want to move multiple cursors are the same time (as I see from the video). I will add that kind of features in future versions.

Thank you for your comments with screenshots. These are certainly useful.

Jason
    Participant

Another feature request: Have “compare” use the built in window’s vertical dividers instead of popping open a new window. New windows are a pain to control. If you X out/close a window while comparing, the first window’s size and position won’t reset. You have to uncheck compare for it to “reset”.

New feature: Currently vertical splitting only shows a new view of the current file open. It’d be nice to be able to have two different files open in that horizontal/vertical split. Again, this can be accomplished right now by setting up windows similarly to the compare mode. But again, controlling windows is more of a pain than handling sliders and have them grouped together in a single parent window.

BUG: While comparing 2 files, if you “rescan changes”, sometimes the windows/tabs will be flipped. For example, if you have Window 1 on the left, and window 2 on the right and you hit the keyboard shortcut for rescan changes, window 2 will flip to the left and window 1 will be on the right.

Jason
    Participant

BUG (?): I’m trying to change keyboard shortcuts for every syntax, so I go to all configurations and set a keyboard shortcut. This doesn’t overwrite individual syntax rules that already have a shortcut for that operation. So I have to do them all one by one.

A possible solution for this is to have each of the syntax keyboard shortcuts as a flat file to edit. That way I can easily bulk find/replace the shortcuts in the code editor instead of using the gui.

Jason
    Participant

Ok, so I’m in a PHP syntax environment and I have the project plugin running. I click Parameter Information button, but the button won’t stay on. when I type out “str_replace(“, I don’t see any parameter lists or when I mouse over it.

Jason
    Participant

Just some clarification, maybe this is an upgrade to the projects tab, but as soon as you type in “(” after writing a function, it will auto-populate the parameters much like a snippet. OR, have wordcomplete fill out parameters for you (example 2).

Example 1:

Syntax: PHP
    1.) Type in str_ (word complete kicks in, offers “str_replace” as a suggestion)
    2.) Hit Enter/Tab, and accept str_replace and is written out for me.
    3.) Type in “(” directly after the function name and the new suggested snippet mode kicks in. Now your line looks like (where the curly braces mean tab indexes with placeholder or default text):
    str_replace( {$search} , {$replace} , {$subject} {[, int &$count ]})

Example 2:
    Syntax: PHP
    1.) Type in str_ (word complete kicks in, offers “str_replace()” SNIPPET as a suggestion)
    2.) Hit Enter/Tab, and the new suggested snippet mode kicks in. Now your line looks like (where the curly braces mean tab indexes with placeholder or default text):
    str_replace( {$search} , {$replace} , {$subject} {[, int &$count ]})

I find it counter intuitive to have the the projects plugin open, with bars on the right and left of your screen, simply to have function syntax available when I click a button. This is a very long drawn out and buggy process currently.

Thanks and I hope this makes sense! :)

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

As for the “Compare”, this is currently a limitation of EmEditor. Since a split window can’t contain different files, the two comparing files can’t exist in the same split window. This is the design of EmEditor, and it is not easily changed in future versions.

The Parameter Information for the Projects plug-in appears as a Tooltip (small yellow popup) if the Symbol list is active and understands the current language. The Symbol list understands the PHP language.

Thanks!

PS. Please don’t hesitate to create a new topic for each question.

Jason
    Participant

Awesome, I just noticed the updated post on the main page about multiple selections! :D But I noticed at 1:20 in the video, the second and third line from the BOTTOM, when you moved the cursors around, you merged two cursors into each other. When you typed (at 1:26), it wrote it out twice. Is this a bug? I actually kind of like the idea of creating two cursors in the same location..

Also, is there a way to remove a multiple cursor at a location you accidentally put one at? Perhaps if you hold down control AND ALT, it will remove the cursor at that location. Maybe if you hold down control and click on an existing multiple cursor, i twill add another one at that same location?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.