Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Meir
    Participant

Hi all!

I had a rather traumatic experience recently, when my computer died (totally died, not “mostly died”) on me. Well, most of my data was continuously backed up (using Dropbox) so no problem there. However, as for EmEditor, I had to reconfigure everything :-( ! That took quite a number of hours.

Yes, there is that “tool” in [Tools->Import and Export->Export all settings into a registry file] and a compatible procedure to import from that file. Fine! But I never used it. Does any of you? Even if I did this “once and for all”, that would have left me with a frustratingly outdated set of settings since I change settings quite often.

There are two approaches that I can think of to continuously keep an updated Registry file:

1) Expand the “Save work-space” to optionally export such a registry file. This however MUST be directed to a user-defined destination such as a Dropbox folder!

2) Using a scripting system such as Perl to export the file. Perl has a module that can invoke any Windows application, with or without it being shown on the screen. Such a script can then execute any VBA command of the application. Such a Perl script could be scheduled daily to do its job and save the latest set (or to keep a FIFO number of these). Is it possible to use it to invoke that function of EmEditor and export all settings?

Regards
    Meir

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello,

The process to export is just copy the Registry key at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareEmSoftEmEditor v3

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareEmSoftEmEditorPlugIns

So, you should be able to copy these registry keys by any scripting languages.

Thank you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.