Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    dreftymac
    Participant

Greetings!

EmEditor is a very smart product. I can tell the person who developed knew what he was after to make it as flexible and powerful as possible while still easy to use.

EmEditor is almost at the level of Vim in terms of its power, and Textmate in terms of its “coolness”. I am surprised I haven’t heard about it before now.

There are only a few things missing that will make EmEditor pure genius if they are added in:

1) More GUI control types:
    There needs to be a way to use the “general purpose” input gui that is included with the Snippets plugin. EmEditor macros has the prompt dialog, and that is great for simple input boxes, but this extra control that comes with Snippets should be available in Emeditor core.

Also, there needs to be a “history-based” GUI control that remembers what you have typed, available in macros as well. To see what I am talking about look at JEdit and see:
    http://www.jedit.org/users-guide/action-bar.html
    for an example.

For another example of what I am talking about, open your Firefox browser and type in “about:config” … then type in the word “filter” and notice how the text is filtered as you type.

2) Ability to make the Plugin Windows “dockable” (again, see JEdit for an example of how this is done).

3) A bit more documentation for plugins, as well as the ability to write plugins in language besides C [e.g., script-based plugins].

4) Ability to use Multiple Arbitrary Simultaneous Carets
    http://blog.macromates.com/2006/textmate-tricks

The reason for these ideas is this: they allow EmEditor to handle things that cannot be easily done by writing a Macro — Macros can handle just about everything else (since you can use perl, python, ruby and javascript, which are all industrial-strength cross-platform solutions).

Thanks for any feedback or comments.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

dreftymac wrote:
    Greetings!

EmEditor is a very smart product. I can tell the person who developed knew what he was after to make it as flexible and powerful as possible while still easy to use.

EmEditor is almost at the level of Vim in terms of its power, and Textmate in terms of its “coolness”. I am surprised I haven’t heard about it before now.

There are only a few things missing that will make EmEditor pure genius if they are added in:

There needs to be a way to use the “general purpose” input gui that is included with the Snippets plugin. EmEditor macros has the prompt dialog, and that is great for simple input boxes, but this extra control that comes with Snippets should be available in Emeditor core.

Also, there needs to be a “history-based” GUI control that remembers what you have typed, available in macros as well. To see what I am talking about look at JEdit and see:
    http://www.jedit.org/users-guide/action-bar.html
    for an example.

For another example of what I am talking about, open your Firefox browser and type in “about:config” … then type in the word “filter” and notice how the text is filtered as you type.

2) Ability to make the Plugin Windows “dockable” (again, see JEdit for an example of how this is done).

3) A bit more documentation for plugins, as well as the ability to write plugins in language besides C [e.g., script-based plugins].

4) Ability to use Multiple Arbitrary Simultaneous Carets
    http://blog.macromates.com/2006/textmate-tricks

The reason for these ideas is this: they allow EmEditor to handle things that cannot be easily done by writing a Macro — Macros can handle just about everything else (since you can use perl, python, ruby and javascript, which are all industrial-strength cross-platform solutions).

Thanks for any feedback or comments.

Thanks for your opinions. I looked at those links you provided.

1) It is possible to use third-party COM objects, but I might consider additional GUI controls. Did you want “Snippets” grid control? 2) I didn’t want to make “dockable” because it can cause significant size increase in EmEditor.exe size. 3) I will add more information about plug-ins to the Help and also am creating tutorial videos. 4) the only way to enter multiple strings is to use vertical selection. I might consider more flexible ways in future versions. Thanks again!

dreftymac
    Participant

Yes, the Snippets Grid control would be great if you could instantiate it from a macro, just like the built-in “prompt” control.

That way, a macro could prompt for more than one variable from the user, without requiring the use of multiple prompt dialogs, one per variable.

Stefan
    Participant

dreftymac
    There needs to be a way to use the “general purpose” input gui that is included with the Snippets plugin.

Also, there needs to be a “history-based” GUI control that remembers what you have typed,

Yes :-D that would be nifty.

– – –

that is included with the Snippets plugin

What are you talking about? :-o
    With snippets I have an side window fro d&d only???

Where / what is the Snippets Grid control ???

Where is that GUI, can i see that too :-D

zhouzh2
    Participant

A few items that can be added to the EmEditor’s future version:
    1. An undo tree:
    type “abc”, del “c”, type “b”,then you get “abb”. Undo once will get “ab”, again to get “abc”. But an undo tree will allows you to choose either return to “abc” or to “a”. This would be helpful in some special circumstances IMHO.

2. display special characters when they are highlighted.
    display special characters when they are highlighted, even if they are not set to be displayed. This could be an option. It would help if you want to test regular expressions. Emeditor’s find now only highlight all text characters, would be better if “n”, “t”s also highlighted (all of them highlighted, not one only once) with their symbols also displayed.

dreftymac
    Participant

Hi Stefan,

The Snippets “grid” control requires a snippet with
    “fill in the blank” parameters. If you define one, you
    will see the GUI.

Here are the steps to reproduce:

* Open the Snippets plugin window on the side
    * Create a new snippet using “New Text” as usual
    * Type in the following text for your new snippet:

Hello {fname} {lname}! You are {age} years old!

* Now insert the snippet into your text as usual, when
    you do you will see a special surprise! :-D This is
    described in better detail under the snippets plugin
    help screen.

What would be nice is if you could call this from a Macro
    and have the macro get its arguments from this little GUI.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.