Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sima
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

This screenshot http://bit.ly/2iRzxq9 is of data I imported into Emeditor. Two questions
    1. How can I get the arrow circled in Red to point downward like the arrows circled in Blue?
    2. Also, what do these arrows mean exactly?

Thanks!

Stefan
    Participant

The arrows you mention are probably the End-Of-Line (EOL) symbols for CRLF and LF respectively.
    Picture: https://www.emeditor.com/text-editor-features/coding/multiple-selection-editing/

You can enable the visibility via “View > Marks > Returns” … and “CR and LF with different Marks”.

There should be only one type of that EOL-markers in one file: DOS/Windows (CRLF) -or- Unix (LF).
    To change that EOL setting, utilizing “File > Save as…” and chose the wanted line endings from the drop-down menu in that dialog.

Stefan

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello,

The last one (LEFT ARROW) is the EOF (end of file) mark. This file shows that the last line is NOT terminated with a newline. You will might want to type ENTER at the end of the file to have consistent newlines at every line.

Sima
    Participant

Thanks everyone.

Yutaka, I typed in ENTER as you mentioned and it worked great. However, how can I get the ENTER text I typed in to NOT show up as text in the file?

The reason I want it to NOT show up is that I’m merging two files large files together (via the Tools>Split/Combine>Combine-Documents-into-a-single-file feature) and I don’t want the resulting file the have the ENTER text in it.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Sima,

I am not sure if I understand your question, but you shouldn’t have any problems merging two files if the last line is terminated with a newline. Did you try it already?
    Thanks,

Stefan
    Participant

Yutaka, I typed in ENTER

Yutaka San did not want you to TYPE the word “Enter” literal into the document,
    but rather to press the Enter key on your keyboard
    while the cursor is after the last sign on the last line..

Hope that makes sense.

Sima
    Participant

Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.