Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    heizodani
    Participant

If the exsisting file is opened, automatic BOM or UTF-8 detection will set editor encoding mode correctly.
    But, new file is opened by using template, automatic BOM or UTF-8 detection won’t work, even though the template file has BOM or UTF-8 tag embeded.

If this file is saved without changing the encoding in save dialog box, this file will not be opened correctly next time.

Please provide the same feature as exsisting file for template file, so that the operational convenience will be improved very much.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

If you use a template file, the encoding of the template file should match with the information you enter in the New File Details dialog box (Tools menu > Configuration Properties > New Files button). Is it possible for you to adjust these options to match with the template file encoding?

Please don’t hesitate to ask me if you have further questions. Thank you.

heizodani
    Participant

Yes. You are right!
    I left the Encording to System default for the New Files button,
    even though I change the template file selection on the fly.
    Even I didn’t noticed this option is applicable.
    I am using many templates based upon various application development and changing quite offten. Only my inconvenience is to change both at the same time.
    But, thanks your suggestion.

—-
    One more enhancement suggestion related to New file for Untitled file.

When emEditor is launched, empty Untitled file with Text mode is provided on workspace. Because editor don’t know the operator’s intention yet, this is OK.
    Text to other configuration is easily can be changed by hitting status bar ‘Text’ portion and can select right configuration from the popup list. But the Current encoding can not.
    If the workspace is not empty, this will not be easy without using Reload feature, but if workspace is blank yet, encording change is easy, I think.

My suggestion is to enable the same feature as ‘Text’ on status bar, for Current encoding on status bar using popup list.

So, user can now start from any encoding and any configuration at the beginning of the work.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

You are welcome! And thank you for your suggestions. I will consider those suggestions on future versions.
    Please don’t hesitate to let me know if you have further inputs about EmEditor.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.