Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andreas
    Participant

I would like to have the following behaviour of the F3 key:

1. When you press F3, the cursor shall jump to the next occurrence of the search string.
    2. When there is no more occurrence of the search string in the document, a dialog box “Cannot find search string” shall appear.
    3. When you close the dialog box, the cursor shall remain at the last occurrence of the search string in the document.

This is how Windows Notepad behaves. But with EmEditor, it is currently not possible to get the same behaviour, regardless of how you configure the settings “Prompt when End of Document is Reached” and “Move to Start/End of Document”. When you activate both settings (set them to ON), in step 3, EmEditor will jump to the first occurrence of the search string in the document. This is not the desired behaviour (for me).

UltraEdit uses a different solution: In step 2, a dialog box “Search string not found. Continue search from other end of file? YES/NO” appears. Maybe this is the best solution. Note that the dialog box in EmEditor currently only has one button (OK), whereas the dialog box in UltraEdit has two buttons: YES and NO.

Please implement the solution as in UltraEdit, or at least as in Windows Notepad.

Andreas
    Participant

Hi Yutaka,

would it be possible that you address this issue?

Best regards,
    Andreas

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hi Amdreas,

I will work on this as soon as I have a time.

Thanks!

Andreas
    Participant

Hi Yutaka,

thank you very much for implementing this! Just one minor suggestion: Maybe it would be good to extend the text “Searched to the end/beginning of the document.” by the text “Continue search from other end of file?” This would make it clearer to the user what will happen when he presses OK.

Best regards,
    Andreas

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.