Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    gordy
    Participant

It seems to depend on the line endings of the source text – in this case I am copying from SQL Server Management Studio. If I paste into Excel first and re-copy then it pastes correctly into EmEditor.

gordy
    Participant

still reproducible in 17.0.1

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello,

Unfortunately, I am having a hard time understanding the issue. Can you please explain the issue in different words in details?

Can you reproduce the issue without SQL Server Management Studio?

Thanks,

gordy
    Participant

I can reproduce it without ssms by using this powershell command to set the clipboard text:

PS > scb ‘aaaa
    >> bbbb
    >> cccc
    >> dddd’

the clipboard now contains 4 lines of text:
    aaaa
    bbbb
    cccc
    dddd

paste it into EmEditor, then highlight the block using block-selection mode (alt+click), and paste again, the text becomes:
    aaaa
    aaaa
    aaaa
    aaaa

gordy
    Participant

actually it’s easier to reproduce than that, in EmEditor simply copy the text without using block-selection and then paste using block-selection mode:

..here I’m typing 1 <enter> 2 <enter> 3 <enter> 4 .. <ctrl+a> <ctrl+c> then block-selecting and <ctrl+v>

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

This is actually how EmEditor works currently. You should switch to the Block Selection mode BEFORE you copy the text.

I understand some people would like an alternative behavior, and I will think about adding the option in future versions.

Thanks,

gordy
    Participant

In that case I would propose supporting the case where we’re copying text from other applications – like SSMS apparently copying a column is the same as copying lines w/CRLFs.

It’s certainly unexpected to have the first line repeating, maybe just stop after the first line if there’s no CRLF highlighted. If not paying attention it’s easy to miss that the values aren’t what you thought you pasted and move on – this happened to me hence the bug report ;)

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

The recent beta version changes the behavior per your request.
    Thanks!

sky
    Participant

This change is very useful, especially when create Batch Replace List or similar TSV files from copy-data.
    Ex.

on	1	a		
    on	2	b		
    on	3	c		
    on	4	d		
    on	5	e	

Before v17.1.0 beta 4, need to paste into Excel two columns separately first, and then copy & paste back to EmEditor. Now it can be done in EmEditor.

In addition, suggest also consider to add an option to CVS mode for this change in future version.
    Because when we try to copy & paste above “a~e” (a \n b \n c \n d \n e \n) vertical data from other software(ex. Excel),
    If paste to EmEditor CVS mode column 2 or later, “a” position is correct, but “b”~”e” position will be on the unexpected column 1.
    CSV

If paste to Excel column B or later, “a” position is correct, and “b”~”e” position is correct as well.
    Excel

sky
    Participant

It is great on v17.1.0 beta 5,
    In the past year, I had depended on Excel to help handle these, and then copy into EmEditor more than fifty times.
    Now, I can no need for Excel on this, thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.