Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ArthurZ
    Participant

Hi there,
    I work primarily with SQL files and different databases. In my case, and for brevity, I added a MySQL and Oracle configurations.
    I switch between creating or opening a file as needed and came to observe that EmEd sometimes changes an already open file with say MySQL configuration to Oracle one.
    I still can’t reliably reproduce this annoyance, but it happened enough time to open the bug fix request.

Thank you.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hi,
    Can you write a step-by-step procedure to reproduce the issue?
    Are the file extensions associated with each configuration at Associate Configurations on the Tools menu? What are those file extensions?

ArthurZ
    Participant

Hi Yutaka,
    I do not know if the forum picks my replies as I do not see my replies.
    So basically I was able to reproduce it the easy way:
    1. Ensure you download and install both the MySQL and PLSQL syntaxes
    2. Open or create and save one MySQL and one PLSQL file with the .sql extension (I think for one I changed what sql opens with, but unsure)
    3. So you now have two saved .sql files with content under each syntax flavour open, then say you are on the MySQL syntax file, create a new file and save it, in my case the file(s) that I had set to MySQL syntax turns changed to PLSQL

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

I am not sure if I understand your question. You usually need to have unique file extensions associated with each configuration. If both MySQL and PLSQL files have *.sql file extension, how can EmEditor know which configuration you want to open with? Please clarify your issue.

ArthurZ
    Participant

The issue is, it changes the syntax already chosen for a file that has the syntax already assigned, if I create a new file.
    EmEditor knows what I set it to because I did, it changes it in unsanctioned manner under the aforesaid circumstances.

As a side note, I noticed in either of these “SQL” files there is changed lines detection happening – no yellow vertical bar despite it being set. There is no green on save either.

Makoto Emura
    Keymaster

ArthurZ, can you confirm if I understood you correctly? You created a new MySQL file and a PLSQL file and saved them both with a .sql extension. You switched to the MySQL file, then created a new PLSQL file. The previous MySQL document changed to PLSQL configuration.

Could you tell us your EmEditor version from the About EmEditor dialog?

ArthurZ
    Participant

Hi Makoto:

The 1st part: >”You created a new MySQL file and a PLSQL file and saved them both with a .sql extension” <–Yes
    The 2nd: > “You switched to the MySQL file, then created a new PLSQL file” <– not switched but created a new using say the MySQL configuration,
    Lastly > “The previous MySQL document changed to PLSQL configuration” <– Yes.
    It was back then the latest stable. I upgraded two minor once, but do not know if the issue remains as I did not work yet with SQL. But I plan to.

Makoto Emura
    Keymaster

I could not reproduce in 20.5.6. I understand it doesn’t happen all the time. I recommend setting your PLSQL file extension to .pls. That should make it easier for you and for programs to recognize the SQL type.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.