Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Neil

I’m running EmEditor Standard 6.00.4.

EmEditor appears to default drive letters and the path to the drive letter and path of the first file opened in that editor instance rather than taking it from the current directory.

For example, I’ve got two files “c:file” and “c:docsfile”, and I enter the following sequence:-
    c:
    cd
    emeditor file
    cd docs
    emeditor file

The result is that the editor opens the first file correctly, but won’t open the second.

This bug extends across drives too, so if I’ve got a c:docsfile and a d:docsfile, EmEditor is unable to differentiate these based on the current drive:
    c:
    emeditor docsfile
    d:
    emeditor docsfile
    I must explicitly state the drive letter to make it work.

This is awkward because our source control system has different versions of the same source file at the same path on different drives. And most of the source control tools only report the path within the current drive (i.e. they don’t provide the drive letter). So I’m at the mercy of the first file that I opened as to which version of the source file I’m going to get in the editor.

The editor should be checking paths relative to the current drive and directory.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Thanks for your report! You are right! I just fixed that in my PC. The next release will include this fix. Meanwhile, use double-quotation marks to specify a file to open. For instance, use:

emeditor “file”

instead of

emeditor file

Neil

Thanks for the tip. Adding quotes fixes the first case where I just enter a filename in the current directory.

Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to help the second case, where I give it an explicit path within the current drive. It still thinks the path refers to the other drive.

I can always hack together a little wrapper script to add the explicit drive letter. That should keep me going until a proper fix is released.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

Neil

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

I couldn’t reproduce the second case. When you move to another drive, is the current directory the root directory of the drive?

Neil

It doesn’t seem to make any difference what the current directory is. I’ve tried it with both drives in their root directories, both in the docs directory, and one in root while the other is in docs. The result seems to be the same for all 3. It will only open the first file.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Did you add “” (double quotation marks) this time?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.