Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Meir
    Participant

Many people on these forums asked to support multiple work-spaces, me included. My motivation was to save different sets of files used in a given task in different work-spaces. I often use multiple “groups” as a substitute for that but a group cannot be saved and retrieved as a single unit.

I recently started to use the “Projects” plug-in. I like it a lot. It is intuitive, it can link to many types of files such as script, ini, make and others. Files can reside in many directories and still appear as peers in the same project. I can of course group multiple “Projects” into a single “Solution”. Opening a file in the Project’s sidebar is lightning fast so I never hesitate to close one. (I still don’t know though what a “Configuration” is in the project/solution context and how to use it.)

I would like however to be able to:
    * Save (all files in) a solution, including all its state (cursor positions in each file, bookmarks, Markers, etc.), in other words, the solution’s “workspace”.
    * Open all files of a project or a solution, and in exactly the same state when it was last saved. This is similar to what happens when I restore the “workspace”, only supporting multiple such entities.
    * When I open a solution while another one is still open, I would like the new one to open in another, separate window. In other words a separate “group”.

There are other, lesser items on my Projects wish-list. One is that clicking the “Open” button on the Projects toolbar will show a list of recently opened solutions. I am sure that such a list is rather small. After all, on how many projects does one work in parallel. At the bottom of that list, after a separating line, should be the “browse” option, which opens an “Open file” dialog. You people might think about more wish-list items, so please go ahead…

In other words, most, if not all file-level commands should also apply to the “Solution” entity – Open, Save, Save-as, Rename-and-save, etc., but to the complete file set.

In my opinion, consolidating the “Solution/Project” plug-in, the “Workspace” and the “Group” into a single concept and implementation would achieve all of the above. The “projects” plug-in would then become a major entity, something that I would integrate into the core editor.

Folks, please add your own two bits: pro, con, different, more, whatever!

Regards,
    Meir

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Meir,

Multiple workspace features are now included in v15.0.0 beta 1. Although it might not be exactly what you expect, I hope this helps.

https://www.emeditor.com/forums/topic/emeditor-v15-0-0-beta-1/

Thanks!

Meir
    Participant

Dear Yutaka,

Thanks!

Please note though that the “Help” states that the Default Menu is located at File > Workspace > Open Workspace but that unfortunately is not true. All workspace commands are only available from the Tray icon menu. My version is the 64-bit one.

When I declared a new project in an existing “Solution”, it got the default “Untitled project” name. However, I couldn’t rename it. The “Rename \t CTRL-F2” context menu item was grayed-out.

Also, when one workspace is open and you open a new one, the old Projects left pane still depicted the previous project. Would it be too difficult to include the “Projects” plug-in state in the workspace?

Wish list:
    * Having a new workspace command to open a blank – no solution/projects – workspace
    * Be able to have multiple workspaces open concurrently, each in a different window

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Meir,

I think you have customized the main menu, but you will see these workspace comamnds if you reset the main menu (Tools > Customize Menus).

Also, the new workspace feature has no interaction with the Projects plug-in. When you mention ‘solutions’ or ‘projects’, I suspect those are related to the Projects plug-in, but workspaces have nothing to do with the Projects plug-in. A workspace can include multiple group windows. Therefore, I didn’t allow multiple workspaces appear at the same time.

Thank you for trying the beta version!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.