Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    George Schizas
    Participant

First of all, I have to say that the CSV/TSV feature looks lovely. I’m a half-convert from another text-editor, and I only keep it for three features – sorting, copying bookmarked lines and customizable tabs. The third feature (customizable tabs) is definitely done better in EmEditor. There is one problem though: Comma (“,”) is not used to separate CSV files universally. I know that the “C” in “CSV” stands for comma, but CSVs can be found with “;” instead of “,”, especially in countries that use “,” as the decimal separator instead of “.” that most English-speaking countries use.

In order to be useful for other countries as well, there should exist the possibility to change the list separator. I have the following suggestions:

1. Use the list separator that Windows uses (that is in “HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelInternationalsList”, although I’m sure there’s a better way than directly reading the registry)
    2. Make the list separator customizable (e.g. comma, semicolon, pipe (“|”), space, tab etc.) In this way you can also accommodate more types of files, and simplify the menus a bit.

owilsky
    Participant

I second feature request #2!

Richard
    Participant

I also second this request..

My wish would be to have the possibility to use more than one char as a seperator. We use double-pipes as separators “||” to avoid escaping/unescaping in content fields. So I would be very thankful fuor siupporting multiple chars as seperator.

Thanks a lot!

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Richard wrote:
    I also second this request..

My wish would be to have the possibility to use more than one char as a seperator. We use double-pipes as separators “||” to avoid escaping/unescaping in content fields. So I would be very thankful fuor siupporting multiple chars as seperator.

Thanks a lot!

I will add a DSV mode (user-defined separator), so you can use a semicolon or any one character as a separator. However, it will be only one character, not like “||” unfortunately. That will make it more complicated, and I will not support it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.