Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    urlwolf

I’m finding that, even for tiny text files that do not have syntax highlighting, ctrl+tab is very slow, about 1sec on a 2GHz machine. Why? Is there anything I can do to improve this? It kills my flow since I ctrl+tab all the time.

Thanks

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

urlwolf wrote:
    I’m finding that, even for tiny text files that do not have syntax highlighting, ctrl+tab is very slow, about 1sec on a 2GHz machine. Why? Is there anything I can do to improve this? It kills my flow since I ctrl+tab all the time.

Thanks

Are you using the Registry or INI files (portable option)? If you are using INI files, try the Registry please.

urlwolf

I disabled all plugins but project, and now switching is fast.
    Nevermind. I only need project right now anyway.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

urlwolf wrote:
    I disabled all plugins but project, and now switching is fast.
    Nevermind. I only need project right now anyway.

Thanks for letting us know. It might be nice if you could find which plug-in was causing the problem.

urlwolf

Yes, I’m using the INI file.
    The slowness is back (still using INI file); I added autocomplete plugin.
    It only happens when switching from one language to another (I’m using a custom syntax file for ahk, based on the one distributed in the main application).

I actually want to have a portable version of EmEditor. Can one go back and forth between INI and registry? How?

Thanks

urlwolf

it is wordcomplete. It makes tab switching extraordinary slow (about one second).
    It might be only if the syntax file has a few thousand entries.

I cannot try the registry method.
    I installed the standard 8.02 on top of the portable one, but it is still very slow when changing configurations etc, so I suspect it is reading INI files.

Import/export does not offer an option to export to registry, only the other way around (registry to INI).

Is this possible?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

urlwolf wrote:
    it is wordcomplete. It makes tab switching extraordinary slow (about one second).
    It might be only if the syntax file has a few thousand entries.

I cannot try the registry method.
    I installed the standard 8.02 on top of the portable one, but it is still very slow when changing configurations etc, so I suspect it is reading INI files.

Import/export does not offer an option to export to registry, only the other way around (registry to INI).

Is this possible?

It is possible. Import/Export offers an option to export INI files to the Registry. Please make sure you use the latest version of EmEditor — currently v8.02.

urlwolf

Not on my copy. It might be that if you install portable, then you don’t get that option? Also, I installed standard on the same directory as portable, and I still don’t get that option (I think it still uses the INI files, so there might be nothing in the registry for it to import).

My question is: how do I force it to move INI information to the registry now?

If I start from a clean install, I still have no access to the INI files, and I’ve lost all my cofiguration. Maybe I can dump them to text somehow?

urlwolf

I’m still trying to find a solution.
    I installed the non-portable version from scratch, and it does offer you to import from ini files. However, it’s a tiny one, that doesn’t carry much info: eeCommon.INI.
    Importing that one only doesn’t help. There’s a big one 1.5mb, that is called eeConfig. That seems like carrying a lot of info, but I couldn’t import it.

So the standard emEditor had only the default settings. Not good.

Then I moved all the inis on top of it. At that point everything works with my settings, but it’s not reading from the registry so it’s dog slow.

This is a conundrum… I hope you can find a solution that makes emEditor fast AND portable at the same time.

On the other hand, the wordcompletion plugin is still making tab switching slow even when reading from the registry. I noticed that it’s more evident when tab switching from a syntax-highlighted file to a text file (plain).

Thanks!

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

urlwolf wrote:
    Not on my copy. It might be that if you install portable, then you don’t get that option? Also, I installed standard on the same directory as portable, and I still don’t get that option (I think it still uses the INI files, so there might be nothing in the registry for it to import).

My question is: how do I force it to move INI information to the registry now?

If I start from a clean install, I still have no access to the INI files, and I’ve lost all my cofiguration. Maybe I can dump them to text somehow?

You are right. I am sorry for confusion.
    You will first need to install EmEditor with the Registry. Then you can import the INI files into the Registry.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.