Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    spiros
    Participant

Would that be possible? It would be very useful in a great number of languages using diacritics and there are free libraries available to do the job like Lucene.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Can you write compelling examples?

spiros
    Participant

There is a great number of languages using diacritics web.library.yale.edu/cataloging/music/diacrit
    For example a simple phrase in French: l’été arrive à la fin. If one does not use the diacritics (or the correct diacritics) nothing will be found.
    Or in polytonic Greek: ὃν οἱ θεοὶ φιλοῦσιν ἀποθνῄσκει νέος

Some software already does that, dtSearch (desktop search tool).

It could be added as an extra toggle button like the “W” (for whole word search).

spiros
    Participant

There is a great number of languages using diacritics: https://web.library.yale.edu/cataloging/music/diacrit
    For example a simple phrase in French: l’été arrive à la fin. If one does not use the diacritics (or the correct diacritics) nothing will be found.
    Or in polytonic Greek: ὃν οἱ θεοὶ φιλοῦσιν ἀποθνῄσκει νέος

Some software already does that, dtSearch (desktop search tool).

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello,

v21.9.903+ includes the Fuzzy Matching features. Please try it and let me know if you have any inputs.

https://www.emeditor.com/forums/topic/emeditor-v22-0-beta-21-9-901/

In the Find dialog box, set the Fuzzy Matching option, click on the button next to the option to display the Fuzzy Matching Options dialog box, and set the Ignore nonspacing combining characters, such as diacritics, dakuten, and handakuten option.

spiros
    Participant

I just saw this, I can confirm that it works great for Greek and Ancient Greek. Thank you so much, this is an amazing feature for me.

spiros
    Participant

The only issue I can see so far is speed. Not sure if it could be made faster. I guess some sort of complex regex runs in the background.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Did you set the Similarity of 100%, and only set the Ignore nonspacing combining characters, such as diacritics, dakuten, and handakuten option?

If so, and if it’s still slow, please write your test condition.

spiros
    Participant

Similarity was left at the default, now that I changed to 100% it is much faster. I guess the same settings are applied at the filter level?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Same settings of fuzzy options are applied to the filter and all other features.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

I think the Fuzzy matching feature is more stable now. Please try the latest beta version, and let me know if you have any other comments before releasing the official version.

spiros
    Participant

Emura-san, when I read this reply I immediately thought of an option to add characters which will be considered equal to another character. After install, I see that something like this you have already done. Congratulations! Truly amazing feature and I think it is unique in text editors, you should point it out in a advertizing material.

I am not clear yet if I can do what I started to describe. For example, when I search and the search string contains the character “κ” I also want it to look for matches for character “χ”. I.e. if I search for οικιστας I also want it to find οἰχιστάς (when diacritics-insensitive is on apparently). How can I add this condition? In the Add dialog I see minimum and maximum character and when I add something in the Treat as, it is copied automatically in Ignore.

Another point, it seems that when one selects options at regex level, these do not apply to filter. Not sure what is the best way here, but it would be good if there was an option to link those two (I.e. changing options in regex-level, automatically applies same options in filter and vice versa).

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

If you want to treat κ as χ, click Add in the Fuzzy Matching Options dialog box, enter κ to both the Minimum character and Maximum character text boxes, and enter χ to the Treat as text box.

I am not sure what you mean by regex-level, but if you mean the options you can set in the Advanced dialog box (such as Regular Expressions “.” Can Match Newline Characters option), you can’t just copy these options between Find and Filter. However, you can save all these options to macros except for the Additional Lines to Search for Regular Expressions option.

spiros
    Participant

1. Great, got it. Perhaps it could be made more intuitive or some context-sensitive help added? Also, when adding the character, in order to be entered as a fuzzy match condition, one needs to click the OK button of the Character range dialog. Perhaps, an extra button near the “Treat as” like Add or Save?

2. I mean that once making Fuzzy match settings in Find/Replace dialog, these did not seem to apply in Filter. So one had to click the Fuzzy button in Filter to change them. Now that I check again, it seems that they are actually the same. So problem solved.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

1. Great, got it. Perhaps it could be made more intuitive or some context-sensitive help added? Also, when adding the character, in order to be entered as a fuzzy match condition, one needs to click the OK button of the Character range dialog. Perhaps, an extra button near the “Treat as” like Add or Save?

I am not sure if I understand correctly, but I don’t want to put an extra OK button to the Character range dialog box. There is OK button already on the right top corner, and its design is similar to many other dialog boxes.

tuska
    Participant

Hi,
    Fuzzy Matching feature

Text:	_Similitary Search_Ähnlichkeitssuche
    Filter: Ahn
    Result: Text will be hidden

Click on button “Fuzzy Matching” in
    – emed64_21.9.901: Text is displayed and “Ähn” (without quotes) is marked
    – emed64_21.9.912: Text remains hidden

German umlauts and special characters (ä,ö,ü,Ä,Ö,Ü,ß)
    http://www.cp1252.com/
    Ä Unicode 00C4 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS

Please check.
    Thanks!

spiros
    Participant

I think we should make a note that ß should be considered equivalent to ss when diacritics-insensitive option is checked.

tuska
    Participant

2Spiros
    Thank you for this addition!

I can’t find this option/setting: “diacritics-insensitive”.
    Can you please tell me where I can find it?

spiros
    Participant

Ignore nonspacing combining characters, such as diacritics, dakuten, and handakuten

tuska
    Participant

2spiros

Thank you!

I had set my window from the “Fuzzy Matching” button with the “Fuzzy Matching Options” too small. :(

tuska
    Participant

Fuzzy Matching Options:
    ✅ Ignore nonspacing combining characters, such as diacritics, dakuten, and handakuten

Text
    a o u A O U
    ä ö ü Ä Ö Ü
    ß
    Filter  Finds
    a	a, A, ä, Ä
    o	o, O, ö, Ö
    u	u, U, ü, Ü
    A	-  -  -  -   <--
    O	-  -  -  -   <--
    U	-  -  -  -   <--
    ß	ß
    ss	-
    Find	Finds
    a	a, A, ä, Ä
    o	o, O, ö, Ö
    u	u, U, ü, Ü
    A	a, A, ä, Ä
    O	o, O, ö, Ö
    U	u, U, ü, Ü
    ß	ß
    ss	-
    tuska
    Participant

German umlauts and special characters (ä,ö,ü,Ä,Ö,Ü,ß)
    – Addition –

Text	Fuzzy Matching
    ä	ae, Ae
    Ä	ae, Ae
    ö	oe, Oe
    Ö	oe, Oe
    ü	ue, Ue
    Ü	ue, Ue

ß	ss	(already mentioned above by user spiros)
    tuska
    Participant

2Yutaka Emura

https://www.emeditor.com/forums/topic/diacritics-insensitive-search-filtering/#post-28388

Filter  Finds
    A	-  -  -  -   <--
    O	-  -  -  -   <--
    U	-  -  -  -   <--

This is fixed in beta 13 (21.9.913) – September 29, 2022 …

A       a  A  ä  Ä
    O       o  O  ö  Ö
    U       u  U  ü  Ü

Thank you!

Btw, ß (ss), ä (aede, deae, deaede, Aede, deAe, deAEde),etc.
    is it currently ONLY allowed to set A SINGLE CHARACTER in the “Treat as” field?
    If so, could you perhaps also allow multiple characters here? That would be very helpful!

spiros
    Participant

I think that a good way of handling these is providing an extra option for German variants as it is German-specific (and strictly speaking these are not versions of the same character with or without diacritics).

ä ae, Ae
    Ä ae, Ae
    ö oe, Oe
    Ö oe, Oe
    ü ue, Ue
    Ü ue, Ue
    ß ss

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

v21.9.914 allows you to specify a string as well as a character range.
    Thanks,

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.