Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    LifeTimer
    Participant

I often start External Tools directly from the editor using shortcuts.

One very productivity-decreasing aspect of this for me today though is that each time I do this, the GUI focus inside EmEditor goes to the Output Bar, even though this bar is obviously normally only used to present output, and thus won’t need any GUI focus.

Rather, I normally just want to continue working in the editor area (using arrow keys, typing, copy/pasting etc) while taking a quick glance at the the results in the Output Bar once it has displayed its result (which, depending on which External Tool I use, could take up to 30 seconds), but today I always need to reach for the mouse and restore the GUI focus to the editor window every time to be able to continue to work, which is a big workflow wrecker for me. :(

My suggestion is therefore: Please default to not giving the Output Bar GUI focus when it is opened, or, at least make this an option for each External Tool.

Sounds reasonable?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello LifeTimer,

I believe some people want the current behavior, so we have to make this optional. I will consider adding the “Set Focus in the Output Bar” chdck box to the External Tool Properties.

Thanks!

LifeTimer
    Participant

Excellent, thanks a lot, this will make a lot of difference for the work-flow efficiency when using external tools inside EmEditor!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.