Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    StewCam
    Participant

I am finding that EmEditor 8 beta 3 replace function does not cope well with large files. I have been trying it on a 5 Mb file. Replace tasks involving thousands of items lead to the program freezing; sometimes even locking up the computer. Same file in NoteTab Pro is dealt with very quickly without any problem.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

stewcam wrote:
    I am finding that EmEditor 8 beta 3 replace function does not cope well with large files. I have been trying it on a 5 Mb file. Replace tasks involving thousands of items lead to the program freezing; sometimes even locking up the computer. Same file in NoteTab Pro is dealt with very quickly without any problem.

EmEditor 8’s replace speed is much faster than previous versions, and faster than many text editors as we discussed in previous threads in our forums. However, there might be some exceptions like multiple-line terms and regular expressions. Can you please describe an example of your search term?

StewCam
    Participant

I think you may be right in thinking that the replace function has a particular problem with non-text items. For example, one search and replace that ran extremely slowly on a 5 Mb file and then locked the computer involved finding the tab and newline combination tn and replacing it with the pipe character |. The same operation ran almost instantly in NoteTab Pro, even though it involved over 20,000 replacements. It ran quite quickly in Boxer, but never concluded as the maximum line length was then exceeded. It also failed to finish in TextPad, causing the program to freeze.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

stewcam wrote:
    I think you may be right in thinking that the replace function has a particular problem with non-text items. For example, one search and replace that ran extremely slowly on a 5 Mb file and then locked the computer involved finding the tab and newline combination tn and replacing it with the pipe character |. The same operation ran almost instantly in NoteTab Pro, even though it involved over 20,000 replacements. It ran quite quickly in Boxer, but never concluded as the maximum line length was then exceeded. It also failed to finish in TextPad, causing the program to freeze.

You are right about it! I will try to optimize the speed in these conditions as well. Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.