- August 17, 2011 at 11:40 pm #9549
EmEditor Professional v11 Beta 1 (10.9.0) is available for download.
New features include Markers, Tooltip to show HTML/XML character references, Find toolbar, and Batch Replace.
For details of new features and screenshots of EmEditor Professional 11, please see:
These beta versions work with your registration key for v10.
Supported OS: Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000 SP4/Server 2008/Server 2003
The portable version can be produced from the Import/Export wizard on the Tools menu after you use the installer. However, the portable version runs slower than the one using the Registry.
EmEditor Professional 11 is available free for all users who have purchased EmEditor Professional v4 – v10 and registered the product before November 1, 2011 at Emurasoft Customer Center! To read the entire news, please see: http://www.emeditor.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=101
Please don’t hesitate to write any comments or bug reports in this forum.
Thank you for trying EmEditor beta versions!August 18, 2011 at 10:35 am #9550AthanParticipant
Thank you Yutaka for this new beta; it works great so far and I’m really enjoying the inclusion of FindBar into the core. Nice move indeed!
If you don’t mind, I’d like to remind you of my previous suggestion about saving or centering all application’s dialogs position. I’d greatly appreciate if you would consider including such an option in the upcoming release.
Thanks!August 18, 2011 at 9:28 pm #9559
I am working on this suggestion — centering dialog boxes relative to the parent window.
Thank you!August 18, 2011 at 10:05 pm #9560AthanParticipant
Thanks a lot!August 19, 2011 at 2:38 am #9561
Good to see the new find/replace toolbar and Delete Duplicate Lines.
Can you add a new button to the Find toolbar, Customize…, for opening the Customize dialog at the Search tab (the same as the Customize… button on the Find dialog) ?
One feature in particular that I was really hoping would make it into EmEditor 11 was the suggestion for extracting text with regular expression support (http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1647&forum=4). It would be nice if it was configurable, as per the topic posts (eg. extraction to Output bar/new document, incremental search/extract so Output bar is updated in real-time as the find/replace text/regex is updated, etc.).
A couple of the bugs I’ve reported before are still present (along with some related to the new features):
1) Incremental search not updated when various Find options changed http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1782&forum=5
2) Current character code is not updated in real-time on the status bar when making a selection.
3) Number of characters, words and lines in selection not updated in real-time while making a selection.
4) It would be useful to have the option to display the total number of characters, words and lines (ie. not just in a selection), and have them update in real-time. Writers/authors would find this very useful.
5) Button style tab bar: cosmetic bug when closing tab using X – http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1733&forum=5
6) Only single match is highlighted when regex contains n… – http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1780&forum=5
A few other suggestions (mostly small) I’ve made that I’d like to see make it into 11:
1) Name document without saving – http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1775&forum=4
2) Real-time refresh/update of WebPreview as-you-type – http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1735&forum=7
3) Regex Library feature – http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1683&forum=4
4) Syntax highlight multi-line sections other than comments – http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=644&forum=2
5) Keep original cursor column position when moving between lines – http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=617&forum=2
6) Have single tab for filenames that only differ by extension – http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1692&forum=4
7) Option to also highlight parentheses/brackets when cursor to the right – http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=642&forum=4&post_id=1867#forumpost1867
8) Suggestions (1), (7) from http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=587&forum=4
9) Auto word-wrap comments (specifically C/C++ comments)… – http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1694&forum=4
10) Display vertical line at specific column position or word wrap position – http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1693&forum=2August 19, 2011 at 2:43 am #9562
Re. Marker dialog:
– Add Apply button so new settings can be applied without closing dialog
– Maybe update highlighting in document when colour changed on dialog
– No option to wrap search past end of document – you could make this per marker rather than global for all markers.August 19, 2011 at 2:53 pm #9563NedMakerParticipant
Toolbar HTML can not be moved to another position. If it moved the other panel, hiding the buttons are not displayed in the popup menu as the other Toolbar.August 19, 2011 at 3:39 pm #9564
HTML Toolbar is a plug-in, and it doesn’t have the feature to show the hidden buttons as a popup menu like other Core toolbars.
Currently, this is the specification, but I might find a way to add the popup menu in the future. Thanks!August 19, 2011 at 3:44 pm #9565
I will work on some of your issues. Some of the bugs you reported are actually the specification. I will let you know which ones are going to be fixed as I develop.
Thanks!August 20, 2011 at 3:23 am #9569
As mentioned, I’m really hoping for text extraction in the next version – Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink! ;)August 20, 2011 at 9:14 am #9571MeirParticipant
And since everybody reinstates their wishlist, I’ll contribute my two bits, actually just one: BiDi support.
Judging by my Hebrew support experience, it seems that bi-directional text is already supported to some extent. (That’s why I picked EmEditor in the first place. I tried at least half a dozen other editors before I decided on it.) UNICODE is supported, and Windows has built-in Bi-Di support too. Doesn’t the support of Japanese also require Bi-Di support?
So, aren’t you already half way there? Would it be such a major undertaking? I hope you have at least plans to support it one day, do you?
MeirAugust 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm #9574
Historically, EmEditor’s design didn’t support RTL or bi-di languages. Japanese is not one of the RTL or bi-di languages.
Supporting the RTL or bi-di languages mean almost complete re-design of the core of EmEditor, so it is challenging. However, given such enormous demands, I might consider that in future versions, but not in v11. I hope you understand.
Thanks!August 21, 2011 at 6:51 pm #9575MeirParticipant
My apologies regarding my less-than-tolerable knowledge of even the most basic facts about the Japanese language. I have to look it up…
Regarding BiDi/RTL: let me hastily say that yes, I do understand your hesitation to commit major efforts just to support something which might not translate into demand.
But look, even as it is, EmEditor correctly displays Hebrew, unless spell checking is ON. When this is so, it reverses the word order in the string, while each word by itself is still correctly displayed. Strange, but not really a major issue. Usually this is enough!
It is however practically impossible to edit Hebrew or even to select parts of it. What I do when the need arises is to select the whole string, sometimes with a bit of LTR text on either side, paste it to MS Notepad, edit what I need there and copy/paste it back. This too is tolerable most of the time.
So, take your time…
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.