Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    urlwolf

This is a very basic feature request: autoclose brackets, commas, etc.
    I couldnt find it in the forum or help.

Thanks

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

urlwolf wrote:
    This is a very basic feature request: autoclose brackets, commas, etc.
    I couldnt find it in the forum or help.

Thanks

Not in the core feature, but it is possible to make a plug-in for this purpose.

zhouzh2
    Participant

Hi,
    I write a simple macro for this purpose

do c u m e n t . w r i t e   (   "  "  " "   ) ; 
    s h e l l . S e n d K e y s ( " { L E F T } " ) ;

assign this macro to the key “{SHIFT}+'”.
    In this way, if you enter “””, you will get “”””, with cursor between ” and “.
    Downside is a macro runs slower than a plug-in, and when recording macros, running this macro will stop the recording.

urlwolf

Yes, I could do that with autohotkey, and the advantage is that it works on any app.
    But this method is not smart enough to decide whether you are closing an open comma, or if it’s an apostrophe etc.
    My experience whith the ‘blind’ method is that it becomes a nuisance very soon. This is something the editor itself should know how to do.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

urlwolf wrote:
    Yes, I could do that with autohotkey, and the advantage is that it works on any app.
    But this method is not smart enough to decide whether you are closing an open comma, or if it’s an apostrophe etc.
    My experience whith the ‘blind’ method is that it becomes a nuisance very soon. This is something the editor itself should know how to do.

The Snippets plug-in in the next major version will include auto-complete feature, and it will become much easier to add new strings. For instance, press { and TAB key to insert }. Of course you can add hundreds of new auto-complete items.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.