Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chjfth

I love the “Find in Files” functionality in EmEditor, since I let me choose file externsions and what character encoding to use. Now I’d like to askwhether there is a find option that lets me find only in text files.

It is really useful when I want to deal with an unfamilar software. I’d like to find a string(probably a configuration name or its value) in all files within that software’s directory, but I cannot figure out what file extensions to find(maybe .ini .cfg .bat .xml or something else), so the best strategy is to find in all text files.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

chjfth wrote:
    I love the “Find in Files” functionality in EmEditor, since I let me choose file externsions and what character encoding to use. Now I’d like to askwhether there is a find option that lets me find only in text files.

It is really useful when I want to deal with an unfamilar software. I’d like to find a string(probably a configuration name or its value) in all files within that software’s directory, but I cannot figure out what file extensions to find(maybe .ini .cfg .bat .xml or something else), so the best strategy is to find in all text files.

Thanks for your opinions. Currently, there is no way to specify only “Binary” files, but you can specify inclusive files types. In the Advanced dialog, you can also specify exclusive file types. I hope this will help. Thanks!

chjfth

Hello Yutaka. Is there any plan to implement “Find in non-binary files” feature?

I suggest, in Find in Files dialog box, Add a check box “Find in all non-binary files” below the file types edit box. If it is checked, file types edit box greys out.

REASON 1:

You know, specifying individual file types can be impossible sometimes, because some big software(like Atlassian Confluence) use varies extension names for their data files, like .xml .properties .policy .vm etc. I do not know what more extensions will they incorporate in the future, since they use so many third-party modules from the JAVA world.

REASON 2:

Some text files do not have extensions, like C++ STL headers, , etc.

REASON 3:

What’s more, I think this option will be very popular because of its convenience. Imagine, how often do we just want to find a word from a bunch of source code inside a directory and really do not care the disturbance of some unrelated files. Very often, right? For example, we want to find a definition of a C macro, we write regex search pattern as

#defines+MYMACRO

We can be sure that such text will not show up in Visual Studio .vcproj , .rc etc, and if we don’t mind the extra little time checking those unrelated files, it will be a time saver to just enable “Find in all non-binary files”.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.