Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Billy Rudock
    Participant

Hi All,

I am trying to add a new sytax file that I downloaded from this site, bash.esy
    The instructions are very clear however at this #6 step I am stopped:
    1. Choose Select Configuration under the Tools menu.
    2. Click Define Configuration at the very bottom of the list.
    3. Click the New button, select Use Default Configuration and click OK.
    4. Enter a descriptive name and click Enter.
    5. Click the Properties button and select the Highlight (1) page.
    6. Click on the Import button, locate, and open the appropriate syntax file.

the problem is that the Import button is not available, it is grayed out. Can you suggest where I am making a mistake?

thx, I appreciate your time and assistance.
    Billy

Patrick C
    Participant

Hi Billy,

You’re almost there. Step 6 actually is:

6. Change the top drop down menu from Only Default Keywords to either
    Both User Defined Strings and Default Keywords
    or
    Only User Defined Strings

7. Click on the Import button, locate, and open the appropriate syntax file.

Best wishes,
    Patrick

John Cordes
    Participant

Thank you! I had just run into the same problem—not understanding why the Import button was greyed out. I appreciate your detailed explanation.
    John C.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

I will make this Import button always enabled on the next version.
    Thank you,

John Cordes
    Participant

Thanks.
    I have been trying to modify the bash.esy syntax file to highlight comment lines. I tried this modification (adding the last entry “^#”):
    #Keyword color=4,word=on,rightall=off,case=off,insidetag=off,regexp=off
    &&
    &
    ||
    |
    ^#

as a test, but after importing the new file there is still no highlighting of the bash comment lines such as
    # functions

Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks,
    John Cordes

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

I tried importing bash.esy, and comments like:

# functions

should be displayed in green.

Please make sure the imported configuration is selected, and you should see the configuration name in the status bar. If you named the new configuration “bash”, you should see “bash” in the status bar. If you see “Text”, it means the configuration is not selected.

If you want the “bash” configuration to be selected when you open a “*.sh” file, you should go to “Associate Configuration” in the Tools menu, click “New” to associate “*.sh” files with the “bash” configuration.

John Cordes
    Participant

Thanks! I have realized that my problem is that I was in ‘dark mode’ and the green (for comment lines) was so faint (against the dark background) it did not look to be coloured at all. My eyesight is not very good and I could hardly read the comments, which is why I wanted a colour for them which would stand out better.
    I switched to ‘light mode’ and can now see that the comments are, just barely, in a green colour.
    Can you please tell me how I could assign a different colour to the comments?

Thanks,
    John

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

In the Display page of configuration properties, select “Comments” in the Specify Part. Select Text Color.

John Cordes
    Participant

AHA—I hadn’t looked at Display before; as you can see I am a complete novice with syntax files. Thank you, that solves the issue for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.