Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Deipotent
    Participant

Suppose I have 5 lines , each with 50 characters. I then position the cursor at column 47 on line 1 and type 5 characters. When I press the down cursor key, EmEditor will move the cursor to the end of the 2nd line. If I wish to edit the next line at the same column position, I have to move the cursor left before typing. My previous editor, TextPad, will move the cursor to column 47 on line 2, allowing you to continue typing at the same column position (ie. it remembers the column position before characters were typed).

Is there any way to get EmEditor to mimic TextPad’s behaviour ?

If not, would it be possible to add this as an option (eg. “Keep column position when moving between lines”) when “Enable Virtual Space” is disabled.

Deipotent
    Participant

Just to clarify:

The remembered column position is updated when a left/right cursor movement is done on a line.

EDIT: It should also be updated when the cursor is moved by clicking with the mouse cursor.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Deipotent wrote:
    Just to clarify:

The remembered column position is updated when a left/right cursor movement is done on a line.

EDIT: It should also be updated when the cursor is moved by clicking with the mouse cursor.

Thanks for your inputs. I might consider that in future.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.