Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    tranglos

I first reported this problem in April 2011 here:
    http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=5&post_id=5626&topic_id=1739#forumpost5626

I’m sorry to say nothing has changed since then. After upgrading to the latest version, EmEditor still always crashes:

1) After clicking Macros -> Customize -> Edit
    2) After clicking Macros -> Select and selecting a macro that is not yet displayed on the macro toolbar.

I have created screencasts of the steps to reproduce each type of crash:

(crash type 1)
    http://www.tranglos.com/media/embug01.wmv

(crash type 2)
    http://www.tranglos.com/media/embug02.wmv

This is really annoying, since I can no longer edit macros in EmEditor. Please fix this issue! (It may be related to the macro toolbar.)

Thank you, and very best regards,
    Marek

Meir
    Participant

I cannot recreate “Crash type 1”. It opens up the Macro in EmEditor, as usual.

Trying to recreate “Crash type 2” also failed to crash EE, but didn’t do anything either. The macro didn’t seem to actually run.

I am using EmEditor Professional (32-bit) Version 11.0.3 on a Hebrew enabled XP box, OS Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 with all windows updates successfully installed.

Meir

webern

2 tranglos
    I cannot confirm both crashes on EE 10.06 -> 11.03 x64, Vista X64.
    Did you try to google for “Stackhash APPCRASH”? It seems like your problem isn’t EmEditor issue.

2 mguttman

Trying to recreate “Crash type 2” … The macro didn’t seem to actually run.

This is normal, because the “Select…” command just “Sets the opened file as the current macro” (from the manual). This command should not run a macro.

tranglos

Well, if EmEditor crashes, it is an EmEditor problem :)

(I guess it could be a plugin problem, too, but I am only using the plugins installed by default with EmEditor.)

APPCRASH is just Microsoft’s code word, it doesn’t mean anything very specific. There is a very specific code: 005, which in Windows is “access denied”. It could be that an unhandled exception caused by this error is crashing EmEditor. Whatever the reason, it does look like an uncaught exception in EmEditor code.

Meanwhile, I have discovered yet another reliable method to crash EmEditor:

Right-click empty space in the menu bar -> click “Customize menus”. When the dialog box shows up, click OK. Crash!

This is the latest version of EmEditor on Win7 32-bit, the system is running smoothly otherwise.

webern

tranglos wrote:
    Well, if EmEditor crashes, it is an EmEditor problem :)

Not at all! Kidding?:)

APPCRASH is just Microsoft’s code word, it doesn’t mean anything very specific.

Of course, I know it, but what about “stackhash”?

Meanwhile, I have discovered yet another reliable method to crash EmEditor:
    Right-click empty space in the menu bar -> click “Customize menus”. When the dialog box shows up, click OK. Crash!

I cannot confirm it as well! No crash!

(I guess it could be a plugin problem, too, but I am only using the plugins installed by default with EmEditor.)

Me too currently not using third-party plugins.
    And I cannot remember EmEditor crashes since v.7.x.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello tranglos,

Both failures on your videos were in the “stackhash_0a9e” module, and since I can’t reproduce your issues, I don’t believe they are related to EmEditor. I can’t reproduce your menu bar crash, either. You might want to google for “stackhash”, and you will find many similar cases, which might be helpful. Please update all your graphics/audio drivers, and make sure you have applied all Windows updates. You might want to run a memory test program and check hard drives. You might want to turn off DEP for EmEditor.exe and see if that remedies the issue.

Thanks

tranglos

Hi Yutaka,

I am sorry but I cannot debug your product for you. If you googled “stackhash”, you would find out that there is never a module by that name: the identifier means that the module is unknown, so the OS provides a hash of the stack instead, which only serves to identify the particular crash (distinguish it from other crashes). Here’s a brief description from a Microsoft technician (first answer below the OP):

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/isv/thread/cc5ff3a6-c6d6-4965-a776-8e72875f162f

I have found out that if I run EmEditor as administrator (with the UAC prompt), then the crashes do not happen. What this suggests to me is that there is indeed a permissions problem somewhere. When EmEitor runs as administrator, the permissions problem does not occur, hence no crash. Again, exception 5 is “access denied”, and I would think this is a better indication of why EmEditor crashes than the meaningless “stackhash”.

If I can provide you with any more information to debug this issue, please let me know. These crashes have been happening consistently since the beginning of 2011, so at least since version 10 was released.

(Yes, I have all the latest drivers and updates installed. No other app on my system exhibits any similar problems; that includes Office 2007, versions of Delphi from 6 to XE, a couple of recent games and several other text editors.)

tranglos

Webern,

I will not entertain your flippant remarks, you’re wasting time. I will just say that the fact that something works on your system does not negate the fact that it doesn’t on mine.

I am however somewhat surprised that the author of EmEditor seems to follow the “works for me” approach to debugging, too.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello tranglos,

I am sincerely sorry for my inappropriate response.

All I need is the call stack information when the crash happens. If you can somehow retrieve the call stack information, please send it to me.

I am also working with Microsoft to receive the crash information so this process becomes automatic. I will let you know as soon as this system becomes available.

Thank you,

webern

I will not entertain your flippant remarks…

I’m very sorry for that.

I will just say that the fact that something works on your system does not negate the fact that it doesn’t on mine.

You’re right. But I guess it is important for developer to know how many users (different systems) can reproduce the issue. Two of us and the developer didn’t reproduce it. I tried to reproduce it again on my three machines (Vista x64, Win7 x64, Win7 x86) – on the first one as admin, and on the rest as the user with UAC enabled/disabled. No crash!

Deipotent
    Participant

Had you upgraded from XP to Win 7 when you originally reported the issue ?

Did you originally install EmEditor as a portable app (and to a protected folder – ie. one that requires admin privileges) ?

Both these issues could potentially cause the problems you’re seeing, which seem to be a permissions issue when EmEditor isn’t correctly handling the access denied.

nisbor
    Participant

Hi, I have the same problem with emeditor 11.0.5
    it is Win XP Home SP3

1) After selecting macros from folder (Macros/Customize/New) and pressing Open the program crashes,
    2) when I press “Edit” in “Customize macros” window it crashes,
    3) when I change language in “Customize” window and press OK it crashes

Can i ask more questions?

2. The HTML Toolbar disappears from toolbars after program reload

3. Did you add the pared HTML tags highlighting?

4. How can I highlight different strings with the help a macro referrence? I have macro which works with the text and during the process I need to highlight some strings (as a result of its work), and it should not depend on search results highlighting.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello,

1. I still can’t reproduce this issue. Are you using INI settings or the registry settings? Which language do you use for EmEditor UI? Does the problem occur only at a certain language UI? Please let me know if you can find a condition where you can reproduce this issue.

2. Please set the “Automatically display the HTML Bar for selected configurations” check box in the plug-in properties. (Please right-click on the HTML Bar button on the Plug-ins toolbar, and select Properties).

3. No. I would like to add this feature in the future.

4. Unfortunately, there is no good way to do this. You could use HighlightItem and HighlightList objects, but not a very good solution. If we could use the Marker it would be nice, but Markers can’t be controlled from macros.

Thank you,

nisbor
    Participant

1. How can I determ|/change if it is saved in ini file or in registry? A problem occurs with all languages.

Before I used the trial 10 version EE, and now I’ve bought the 11.0.5 version. Before the installation v11 (after uninstalling v10) I’ve cleaned the registry of all lines that contained EmEditor or Emura, but it didn’t help too.

May be a problem is that before v10 I used EE v7 with separate russian language pack (that was uninstalled later)?

2. Thanks

3. Waiting

4. Waiting

5. There is one more problem: in version 7 there was possibility to increase the Find/Replace text fields height by dragging the right bottom corner of Find/Replace window vertically, now in version 11.0.5 I cant do it. It is being dragged only in horisontal direction. Therefore I cant use now the Ctrl+M (Ctrl+Enter) combination in Find/Replace expressions. How to repair it?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello abre,

1. If you go to the About dialog on the Help menu, on the System Information box, you can see whether EmEditor is using the Registry or INI files.

5. In the Find dialog , please click “>” button and select “Multiline”.

Thank you!

nisbor
    Participant

1. It uses registry
    2. Thanx

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.