Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Deipotent
    Participant

When cursor is on last line and down cursor key is pressed, can you move the cursor to the end.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hi Deipotent,

No, you should press the End key to go to the end.

Thank you!

Deipotent
    Participant

But that forces me to move to another key. If I’m on the last line and press the down cursor key, it’s obvious I want to go to the end of the last line.

Several other text editors have the behaviour and it’s useful.

One caveat though, if on last line and down cursor key is pressed, the cursor should move to the end, but the current cursor X position should not be updated, so if I do Up cursor key again, it should move to the X position that it was on before it was moved to the end. For example, suppose I have two lines:

ABCD

and the cursor is between B and C. Pressing down should move cursor to end (ie. after D), but pressing up cursor would move cursor to between 2 and 3. Only a left/right cursor should update the cursor X position.

Deipotent
    Participant

An example of a text editor that has got this behaviour right IMO is HippoEdit:

1) Using Left/Right Cursor arrows or clicking with left mouse on editor area will set the horizontal insertion positon (eg. character 50). Inserting a character, pasting text or using up/down cursor keys does not change horiz insertion position.

2) Pressing Down cursor on last line moves cursor to end, but as per (1) does not change horiz insertion position. Pressing Up on first line moves cursor to start, but as per (1) does not change horiz insertion position. eg. If cursor is on first line and I press right cursor key the cursor and horiz insertion position changes to character 20. Pressing Up cursor moves cursor to start, but pressing down moves cursor to line 2 and horiz position 20 or end of line (whichever is less). Pressing Up cursor move curor back to first line and it’s also on horiz position 20.

Above behaviour (1) is useful for navigation so you don’t have to move fingers off cursor keys, and some laptops don’t include Home/End keys as well. Aboive behaviour (2) is useful as you sometimes want to inser different text at same horizontal position on different lines. It allows you to simply type/paste, move cursor up/down and type/paste again, repeat as many times as you need.

Once you have above behaviour, it makes it frustrating to use an editor without it.

Please consider implementing above behaviour in EmEditor.

I’m interested in what other people think as well.

Deipotent
    Participant

I can understand you not wanting to change the current behaviour, but can you at least add two checkbox options to get this behaviour (or one if you don’t want to separate them). Just to clarify what I’m after:

1) When on first/last line, pressing Up/Down cursor key will move to start/end of document. This is useful so you don’t have to switch from cusor keys for navigation, plus your suggestion of using Home/End keys is not always feasible when using a laptop which sometimes don’t have these keys.

2) Using Left/Right Cursor arrows or clicking with left mouse on editor area will set the horizontal insertion positon (eg. character 50). Inserting a character, pasting text or using Up/Down cursor keys never changes horizontal insertion position (even when cusor moved to start/end after Up/Down cursor pressed on first/last line). For example, if cursor is on first line at character position 19 and I press right cursor key, the cursor and horiz insertion position changes to character 20. Pressing Up cursor moves cursor to start, but pressing down moves cursor to line 2 and horiz position 20 or end of line (whichever is less). Pressing Up cursor move curor back to first line and it’s also on horiz position 20.

Above behaviour (1) is useful for navigation so you don’t have to move fingers off cursor keys, and some laptops don’t include Home/End keys as well. Above behaviour (2) is useful as you sometimes want to insert different text at same horizontal position on different lines. It allows you to simply type/paste, move cursor up/down and type/paste again, repeat as many times as you need.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Deipotent,

We should release v14.6 soon, but I will think about your points in future versions.

Thanks,

Deipotent
    Participant

Hi Yutaka,

Any chance of this being added ? As mentioned, you can keep curent behaviour, and just make the new behaviour optional with one or two checkbox options.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.