Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    TheXman
    Participant

I know that it may be a little late in the game but I’ll ask anyway. A while back I posted a suggestion that the ability to open multiple files from the command line AND from the open dialog. It looks as though the ability to open multiple files from through the OPEN dialog has been added to version 7. Unfortunately, doing so from the command line looks like it did not make it. I’m aware that doing this from the command line (without any switches) is a little more difficult in that it may break some of the existing functionality dealing with remembering the last open folder. However, maybe a new switch can be added to open multiple files? That way the existing command line functionality would not be affected. Opening multiple files from the command line would be much more useful (at least for me).

Xavier
    :-D

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

TheXman wrote:
    I know that it may be a little late in the game but I’ll ask anyway. A while back I posted a suggestion that the ability to open multiple files from the command line AND from the open dialog. It looks as though the ability to open multiple files from through the OPEN dialog has been added to version 7. Unfortunately, doing so from the command line looks like it did not make it. I’m aware that doing this from the command line (without any switches) is a little more difficult in that it may break some of the existing functionality dealing with remembering the last open folder. However, maybe a new switch can be added to open multiple files? That way the existing command line functionality would not be affected. Opening multiple files from the command line would be much more useful (at least for me).

Xavier

You should be able to open multiple files from command line:

emeditor.exe file1 file2 …

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

TheXman
    Participant

I apologize, I should have been more specific. I meant to be able to open multiple files using wildcards. i.e. *.ini

Yang Yang
    Participant

I think interpreting wildcard characters is usually the shell’s reponsibility.

TheXman
    Participant

wdscxsj wrote:
    I think interpreting wildcard characters is usually the shell’s reponsibility.

What interprets wildcards is not the point of my post. The fact that one cannot open multiple files at once using wildcards from the command line is my point. I posted this as a Core Enhancement request back on 5/27/2007 @ 1:53 pm. It looks like part of the request was implemented (multiple file selection from the OpenFile dialog). I was just asking if the other part of the request could be implemented (multiple file selection using wildcards from the command line).

Let me give a brief example to elaborate. Let’s say that you have a folder that has multiple ini files in it such as the EmEditor application folder. Then let’s assume that you want to open and view all of those ini files. If from the command line you entered the syntax: “Emeditor *.ini”, you would receive an error message saying that “The specified path is invalid”. You would have assumed that the syntax would have opened all of the ini files in that folder. The only way to open all of the ini files in the folder from the command line, using Emeditor, would be to know and to list each ini file with the following syntax: “Emeditor inifile1 inifile2 inifile3 …”. This seems a bit cumbersome.

Xavier

Yang Yang
    Participant

I do most command-line work on Windows in a Cygwin Bash shell. For EmEditor I wrote a one-line script named “ee” in the path:
    “/cygdrive/d/Tools/EmEditor/emeditor.exe” “$@” &
    When I enter:
    $ ee *.tex
    , all the .tex files in the current folder are opened. I’m happy with this behavior and won’t bother to try cmd.exe.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

In Command Prompt, you can use FOR statement. For example:

for \%f in (*.ini) do emeditor.exe \%f

TheXman
    Participant

Yutaka wrote:
    In Command Prompt, you can use FOR statement. For example:

for \%f in (*.ini) do emeditor.exe \%f

With all due respect, I’m aware of several workarounds. My question was whether you can will alleviate these workarounds by implementing a widely accepted syntax into the editor to open files using wildcards from the command line without workarounds.

Xavier

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.