Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    danderson

Love the new OutputBar macro object. I have two suggestions that I think would make it even better:

1) Add a means to specify how lines should be parsed to determine the file and line for “jumping” to relevant text. It’s a bit limiting as it is now since few external tools output in the “file(line):” format.

2) Add some way to allow jumping to a buffer that has never been saved. For example, if I want to paste some text into a new buffer and run a macro that produces “jumpable” lines, they will not work.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

danderson wrote:
    Love the new OutputBar macro object. I have two suggestions that I think would make it even better:

1) Add a means to specify how lines should be parsed to determine the file and line for “jumping” to relevant text. It’s a bit limiting as it is now since few external tools output in the “file(line):” format.

2) Add some way to allow jumping to a buffer that has never been saved. For example, if I want to paste some text into a new buffer and run a macro that produces “jumpable” lines, they will not work.

I understand your first suggestion. I am not sure about your second suggestion. Please describe more in details. Thanks!

danderson

So basically, the scenario is something like this.

1) create a new file
    2) paste text
    3) run a macro that processes the contents of the file and prints output to the output bar that refers back to lines in the unsaved file buffer

Right now, there is no way to make the references to the lines in the unsaved buffer work because a file name is required. Since the the buffer is not saved, it has no file name.

It would be nice to have a way to have EmEditor jump to the referenced line in whatever file/buffer is currently displayed rather than a specific file.

Hope that makes sense. I actually use this functionality a lot to do quick processing on pasted text from other apps but I don’t want to have to save to a file every time I do it.

tungwaiyip

About 1, I have also make a enhancement suggestion that not only applied to the OutputBar but to all document Windows. There is an obscure concept of Tag (filename, linenumber) in EmEditor and it should be a simple enhancement to allow custom Tag format.

http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=413&post_id=1091&order=0&viewmode=flat&pid=0&forum=4#forumpost1091

tungwaiyip

About danderson’s second suggestion, I actually use it a lot with my previous editor. I have macros that parse a file and extract data into a new, temporary, unnamed buffer and like to have a way to refer to data in the unnamed buffer. Right now EmEditor only support one kind of address, that is filename/lineno. Since the unnamed buffer has no filename, it is not addressable. So one idea is to define a new address format such as

Untitled(lineno):

This is only a first suggestion. Of course the format should be carefully designed so that it does not overlap with other usage.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.