Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    netsking
    Participant

Could anybody help me about paste issue?
    I copy several words from website, esp., Asian words.
    After pasted, they were turned to nonrecognize symbols.
    But, the selected words dirctly drop into Emeditor would be fine. Any idea cause this problem?
    I’m using 12.0.8 (64-bit).
    Thanks.

Meir
    Participant

1) What do you mean by “… directly dropped into…”?

2) What encoding is the open document into which you paste? Is it any of the Unicode encodings (e.g. UTF-8)?

3) What was the encoding of the source from where you copied the text? Was it Unicode? Was it of the same or a different encoding than the one you pasted into?

netsking
    Participant

Thanks a lot for your reply.

1) What do you mean by “… directly dropped into…”?
    I mean “Drag and drop”

2) What encoding is the open document into which you paste? Is it any of the Unicode encodings (e.g. UTF-8)?
    Western European (Windows)

3) What was the encoding of the source from where you copied the text? Was it Unicode? Was it of the same or a different encoding than the one you pasted into?
    I don’t know the encoding of source. My EmEditor was setting as detect both Unicode signature and UTF-8. When I pasted the copied text or “drag and drop” the selected text, the encode did not change in the both.

Any idea about this?

netsking
    Participant

I’ve found the problem. Just found I checked “Always paste as ANSI”. After unchecked this, the paste text is the same as I read.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Meir
    Participant

I am absolutely sure that Asian words cannot be displayed in a Western European encoding!

You must first “Save as…” your edited document as a Unicode one. I would strongly recommend UTF-8 (with or without “signature”). The “encoding” drop-down list is to the left of the “Save” button.

There are many excellent Unicode introductory pages. My favorite is Joel on Software: About Unicode and Character Sets

I hope it helps. Good Luck!

netsking
    Participant

Thanks a lot for your recommendation. I read it. It is very helpful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.