Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    visitor

1. Open a file in the “System Default” encoding.
    2. Save it to the “UTF-16 LE” encoding (Save As…)
    3. Close it and open it again.
    4. EmEditor reports “Null characters (00H) contained in the file will be replaced with spaces”.

I found it is because of missing Unicode BOM (byte order mark) at the beginning of the file. :-?
    Meanwhile, if you create a new file and save it to the “UTF-16 LE” then Unicode BOM is appended.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

visitor wrote:
    1. Open a file in the “System Default” encoding.
    2. Save it to the “UTF-16 LE” encoding (Save As…)
    3. Close it and open it again.
    4. EmEditor reports “Null characters (00H) contained in the file will be replaced with spaces”.

I found it is because of missing Unicode BOM (byte order mark) at the beginning of the file. :-?
    Meanwhile, if you create a new file and save it to the “UTF-16 LE” then Unicode BOM is appended.

When you save, you need to make sure “with Signature (BOM)” is selected. This selection is different in Windows Vista from XP/2000. Which OS are you using? If you are using XP/2000, there is a separate check box that you will need to check. In Windows Vista, the drop-down list box contains both “UTF-16LE with Signature” and “UTF-16LE without Signature”.

visitor

Oh, sure! I forgot to check “Add a Unicode Signature (BOM)”.

But this check box was unchecked by default. Could you change this behavior?
    I think Unicode BOM should be used almost in all cases. Notepad does. ;-)

And why there is difference between Windows Vista and 2000/XP:
    check box in 2000/XP and dropdown selection in Vista?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

visitor wrote:
    Oh, sure! I forgot to check “Add a Unicode Signature (BOM)”.

But this check box was unchecked by default. Could you change this behavior?
    I think Unicode BOM should be used almost in all cases. Notepad does. ;-)

And why there is difference between Windows Vista and 2000/XP:
    check box in 2000/XP and dropdown selection in Vista?

I think BOM is not generally used for UTF-8, and used for UTF-16. That’s why I should include with/without BOM in the Drop-down list for newer versions. Windows Vista uses the new styles for open/save, and there was not enough space for checkboxes, so I redesigned the way. I just did not want to make changes to the old styles.

visitor

Please don’t forget to make some changes in 8 ;-)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.