Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    EEuser

I installed 7.00.1 and when I went to associate a .php extension the OS would not allow it.

I went to Open With, Browse, selected emeditor.exe, and nothing. EmEditor was not added to the list for me to select from.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

EEuser wrote:
    I installed 7.00.1 and when I went to associate a .php extension the OS would not allow it.

I went to Open With, Browse, selected emeditor.exe, and nothing. EmEditor was not added to the list for me to select from.

You should associate file extensions from within EmEditor. Go to the Tools menu in EmEditor, select Customize, File tab, click Associate with EmEditor.

EEuser

I tried that at that also didn’t work. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

EEuser wrote:
    I tried that at that also didn’t work. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Are you using the 64-bit version of EmEditor Professional?

EEuser

Yeah I am, sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

EEuser wrote:
    Yeah I am, sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

No problem at all. I will look into this issue as soon as I come home from my trip. Thanks!

EEuser

OK, thanks. I don’t know if I need to add another post but another thing that I noticed was that the Word Count Plug-in didn’t seem to work. I went to enable it and EmEditor grayed it out (I assume this indicates either a missing plug-in or a broken one). I did not dig into it any further than that. Thanks again.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

EEuser wrote:
    OK, thanks. I don’t know if I need to add another post but another thing that I noticed was that the Word Count Plug-in didn’t seem to work. I went to enable it and EmEditor grayed it out (I assume this indicates either a missing plug-in or a broken one). I did not dig into it any further than that. Thanks again.

You probably did not select any text when you try to use the Word Count plug-in. If you want to count the entire text in the document, select all by pressing CTRL + A, and then select the Word Count plug-in.

EEuser

Works, Thanks

EEuser

Just to be a little more descriptive of the problem. I wanted to let you know that I think that there is no problem if you are using EmEditor as Admin, but I don’t have those privileges, just a plain ol’ member of Users.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

EEuser wrote:
    Just to be a little more descriptive of the problem. I wanted to let you know that I think that there is no problem if you are using EmEditor as Admin, but I don’t have those privileges, just a plain ol’ member of Users.

I tried with a Standard User, and there was no problem. When you click “Associate with EmEditor” button on the File tab of Customize dialog box, you will be asked to enter the Administrator’s password. Have you been asked for this password when you click this button?

EEuser

Yes, the funny thing is that I go ahead and register the .php file extension and everything looks fine in the EmEditor tool, but when I go to open a file will still open with notepad (the default program).

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

EEuser wrote:
    when I go to open a file will still open with notepad (the default program).

Maybe I misunderstood your issue. How do you open a file? PHP is not associated even with Notepad by default.

EEuser

Well, I just double click. I don’t have my vista machine with me, but if I recall it seems as though the Admin account works fine, but my normal user account does not. Obviously notepad was associated with the .php extension at onetime, but for the life of me (and this could be partially due to my lack of experience with vista) I can not make EmEditor to be the default application associated with .php files.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

EEuser wrote:
    Well, I just double click. I don’t have my vista machine with me, but if I recall it seems as though the Admin account works fine, but my normal user account does not. Obviously notepad was associated with the .php extension at onetime, but for the life of me (and this could be partially due to my lack of experience with vista) I can not make EmEditor to be the default application associated with .php files.

I hope you have resolved this issue by now, but I don’t know why this happens. It might be Windows Vista problem. PHP should not be associated with Notepad when you first install fresh Windows Vista. Later you must have associated PHP with Notepad. I would unregister PHP from Notepad before install EmEditor.

EEuser

I think that you have hit the issue on the nose. Sorry for wasting your time on this. But, I have one last question. How do you un-associate ANY file extension in vista. This feature seems to have been overlooked by the Microsoft developers.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

EEuser wrote:
    I think that you have hit the issue on the nose. Sorry for wasting your time on this. But, I have one last question. How do you un-associate ANY file extension in vista. This feature seems to have been overlooked by the Microsoft developers.

Sorry, this is more like a Windows question, but there might not be any way to unregister file extensions. If that .php extension was registered by another program, uninstalling that program might unregister that file extension. If not, I would go to RegEdit.exe, locate HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.php, and delete that tree or a portion of that tree or values. Please make sure you backup the registry information before you edit any values or keys in the Registry, so you can undo you changes if there was something wrong.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.