Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    spectre

I would like to make a suggestion to enhance Projects plugin.

Currently, a predefined argument of a tool (like $(Solution) or $(Project)) can also have one of 3 subarguments (‘f’, ‘d’, ‘x’). This allows to get the full path, the directory or the extension of the corresponding file, respectively.

I would suggest to add one more subargument, say, ‘n’, to get only the name of that file (without extension). This can be very convenient. It is not quite rare that the application built in a project has the same name as the project file. To provide custom tools to execute or debug the application from EmEditor, one needs to extract the respective name.

Or assume one has created a solution template for Qt applications. It seems reasonable to give the same name as for the solution to some of Qt specific files – Qt project (.pro) file and may be others.

Of course, there are ways to get around this like passing the full path to a .cmd-script or some program to extract the file name there. But having to write just $(Solution,n) would probably be much more convenient.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

spectre wrote:
    I would like to make a suggestion to enhance Projects plugin.

Currently, a predefined argument of a tool (like $(Solution) or $(Project)) can also have one of 3 subarguments (‘f’, ‘d’, ‘x’). This allows to get the full path, the directory or the extension of the corresponding file, respectively.

I would suggest to add one more subargument, say, ‘n’, to get only the name of that file (without extension). This can be very convenient. It is not quite rare that the application built in a project has the same name as the project file. To provide custom tools to execute or debug the application from EmEditor, one needs to extract the respective name.

Or assume one has created a solution template for Qt applications. It seems reasonable to give the same name as for the solution to some of Qt specific files – Qt project (.pro) file and may be others.

Of course, there are ways to get around this like passing the full path to a .cmd-script or some program to extract the file name there. But having to write just $(Solution,n) would probably be much more convenient.

I am sorry, but there was a mistake in the Help file. ‘f’ desginates the file name (without extension). I will correct the information in the Help. Thank you!

spectre

Thank you for the clarification.

I probably did not explain my point right. Let’s consider a following example.

Assume we have a solution, say, D:xworksamplesmy_solution.eesln
    $(Solution) gives
    D:xworksamplesmy_solution.eesln
    as it should.

I tried $(Solution,f) and it gave
    D:xworksamplesmy_solution

But what I would like to have is just
    my_solution

That is, just file name, no path.

I mostly need this to construct the paths like the following:
    D:xworksamplesdebugmy_solution.smth
    ( $(Solution,d)debug$(Solution,).smth )

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

spectre wrote:
    Thank you for the clarification.

I probably did not explain my point right. Let’s consider a following example.

Assume we have a solution, say, D:xworksamplesmy_solution.eesln
    $(Solution) gives
    D:xworksamplesmy_solution.eesln
    as it should.

I tried $(Solution,f) and it gave
    D:xworksamplesmy_solution

But what I would like to have is just
    my_solution

That is, just file name, no path.

I mostly need this to construct the paths like the following:
    D:xworksamplesdebugmy_solution.smth
    ( $(Solution,d)debug$(Solution,).smth )

You are right. It was a bug in the Projects plug-in. I will fix this issue before the next release. Thank you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.