Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    WmMitchell
    Participant

I’m trying EmEditor out. Jury is still out on whether or not this one is a keeper. If I can just figure out how to get the S&R functions down, that will determine on whether or not this is the app to keep.

The trouble is that I’m dealing with trying to figure out the regexp to use with EmEditor (which I’m woefully inexperienced in to begin with) and trying to figure out the EmEditor macro language at the same time! Not easy .

I need to know how to remove the space between a number-space-fraction text string. If I have something like
    2 ½

I need to change that to

I’ve tried this type of thing:
    document.selection.Replace(“[0-9]+ ¼”,”[0-9]+¼”,eeFindNext | eeReplaceAll | eeFindReplaceRegExp);

The above seems great to _find_ the items but used to try to find entries such as this:

I get this as a result:
    [0-9]+½

How can we fix this from the macro:

document.selection.Replace(“[0-9]+ ¼”,”[0-9]+¼”,eeFindNext | eeReplaceAll | eeFindReplaceRegExp);

so that we get the desired result, pls?

From there, I’m sure that will help me learn how to work with the other parts of the script that deal with the same type of thing.

Thanks. :)

MariaK
    Participant

You can use a group and a back reference.

Find:
    ([0-9]+) ½
    Replace with:

Extended version:

Find:
    ([0-9]+) ([¼,½,¾])
    Replace with:

WmMitchell
    Participant

Extended version:

Find:
    ([0-9]+) ([¼,½,¾])
    Replace with:

That is amazing! I really thought that was going to work. It’s very confusing to be dealing with a whole bunch of software applications, but I seem to remember using something similar a long time ago in Word and it works in Word. But, unfortunately, it didn’t work here.

I really liked the extended version since it would take care of all number-fraction combinations, but the 1 and 2 didn’t work as expected in EmEditor.

When I ran the macro, which looks like this:
    document.selection.Replace(“([0-9]+) ([¼,½,¾])”,”12″,eeFindNext | eeReplaceAll | eeFindReplaceRegExp); /* Remove space between number & fraction.*/

I get those funny little boxes come up in the editor:
    [ ] [ ]
    rather than, say, 1½.

We’re close (“we”??!! I mean, obviously, you), but this isn’t quite right. Can you suggest how to fix? The 1 and 2 should put the number and fraction back that was there before, instead it’s replacing it with little boxes. (?)

Thanks.

MariaK
    Participant

It’s very simple; within a macro you must mask the backslash ”” with a prefix backslash ””. Here’s an example:

document.selection.Replace(“([0-9]+) ([¼,½,¾])”,”12″,eeFindNext | eeReplaceAll | eeFindReplaceRegExp);

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.