Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sky
    Participant

EmEditor will be no response under a certain Replace condition.
    Here is an example to reproduce this issue:

Text file: 1,000,000 lines “ABC”
    1. Find “ABC\nABC”
    2. Replace with “DEF”

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello sky,
    I reproduced this issue, and it will be fixed on the next version. Thank you!

sky
    Participant

Another problem, here is an example to reproduce this issue:

Text file: 1 line “ABC” x 100,000 times = ABCABCABCABC….
    1. Find “ABC”
    2. Select “Escape Sequence”
    3. Replace with “ABC\n”
    Windown 8,1 system will be no response unless force shut down the computer (press the Power button for a few seconds).

If select “Regular Expressions”, it is OK.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hi sky,
    Are you using the latest beta v20.1.901? Please wait a few more seconds before you shut down the computer. Does the progress dialog box appear while you are waiting for the Replace finish?

sky
    Participant

Both v20.1.901 and v20.1.1 have the same problem.
    The progress dialog box did not appear.

Windown 10 system can use “End task” via task manager, but Windows 8.1 have to force shut down the computer.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

In my case, the Replace finishes in 14 seconds. The sample file was one line “ABCABCABC…”, total of 100,000,000 character long (100MB). The result can be different with other computers. It could be more than a few minutes to finish. I could adjust the timing when the progress dialog box opens. How many minutes did you wait until you reboot the computer?

Since I can’t reproduce the issue, please do the following steps if you don’t mind.

Select the Tools menu -> Import and Export, and then select Export all settings into a registry file (if you are using a Desktop Installer) or INI files (if you are using a portable version), and save exported files and folders.

Then select the Tools menu -> All Commands -> Tools -> Reset All Settings, this should prompt you to restart EmEditor. You can always restore your settings by importing your settings you just saved.

Please check if the issue still persists. If the issue has been resolved, then please zip exported files and folders (including the AppData subfolder within the exported folder), and email the zip file to me at tech @ emurasoft.com .

Thank you,

sky
    Participant

I wait for 10 minutes and then shut down the computer, and I use portable version with all default settings to reproduce the issue.
    After several tests, I think this problem start since v18.5.0 or v18.5.91.

1. Find “ABC”
    2. Select “Escape Sequence”
    3. Replace with “ABC\n”
    v18.4.0, total 100,000 strings were replaced in 0.078 seconds.
    v18.5.0, total 100,000 strings were replaced in 0.078 seconds.
    v18.5.91, will be no response.

4. Find “A”
    5. Select “Escape Sequence”
    6. Replace with “ABC\n”
    v18.4.0, total 100,000 strings were replaced in 0.156 seconds.
    v18.5.0, will be no response.
    v18.5.91, will be no response.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

I reproduced this issue with exactly “ABC” x 100,000 times = 300,000 characters. I am not sure why but it was OK when the text is very long (100,000,000 characters). Anyway, it will be fixed on the next version. Thank you!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.