Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dreven

I’m giving EmEditor a try to see if I want to buy it. Mostly, I’m totally happy with Notepad++ except for the lack of rhtml syntax coloring. I tried E-Text Editor and right off the bat the lack of CTRL+Wheel zooming pushed that one out of the running (couldn’t find any info on zooming, no idea if it even has it – that editor is also 1$10 more than EmEditor). Mostly I care about good syntax coloring, zooming and an Explorer/Project tree.

The rhtml/ruby append symbol (<<). EmEditor looks for a closing ">” when you use this and everything after it will be colored the same way. How can you get around that?

The built in themes are pretty bad. My favorite theme is Vivid Chalk/Chalkboard or just plain Chalkboard. I was able to get some things done manually but it is a lot of work. Is there any way to grab those themes and install them?

The only thing else I’m really missing so far is the feature in Notepad++ where when you double click on a word to highlight the word, every other instance of it in the document is highlighted. I’ve always found this very useful when programming because it allows you to quickly see all instances of things like variables.

Oh, and the other little minor annoyance I’ve found so far is the lack of the ability to do a search on the Keyboard Config pop up window.

Thanks for any help. So far so good – nice editor. I’m leaning toward buying it.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Dreven,

Thanks for your comments about EmEditor.

As for rhtml/ruby append symbol (<<), maybe you can post a sample code where the problem happens, or you can email me a file at [email protected], and I will make sure to consider the issue in future versions.

You can find additional themes in the library http://www.emeditor.com/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=13

I will also try to modify the default themes in the future.

I might also consider the missing feature where you can select a word to highlight the word, and every other instance of it is highlighted.

And I will also try to improve the keyboard search ability.

Thanks!

Dreven

Thanks.

(opps) The problem with syntax coloring and rhtml appends (<<) was all my fault from messing with the settings. Sorry about that.

I LOVE the HTML bar and it’s table wizard.

Code folding – one of my must haves, found that’s a plugin called outline (check – awesome).

Having a Find on the keyboard shortcut would be nice but that’s a minor one. I noticed it when I was wondering if you had shortcut keystrokes for surrounding words with quotes/braces/etc when the cursor was positioned on the word.

Yeah, I don’t know what that “highlight all matching words/strings” function is called but I’d have to put that in my 10 ten needs list for a text editor.

This is a badly colored example from Notepad++ on a training rhtml file. I double clicked on the word “hello” and all instances of it in the document were highlighted. That one little feature can save so much time when programming. It’s not very visible but the whole line with the real selection has a highlight so you know which instance you’re really selected on.

I’m going to go ahead and purchase now, thanks for the help. Keep me in mind for the “highlight-all” feature. It’s the only thing that I’d want that I don’t see right now. Great job – finding a nice text editor for rhtml (when you’re not on a Mac and don’t want to deal with VIM, is rather painful).

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Dreven,

I know all about the features you are talking about.
    Thanks for explaining!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.