Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dreftymac
    Participant

Suppose I have emeditor using the INI files and that the location of the files is as follows:

C:ProgramsEmEditoreeCommon.ini
    C:ProgramsEmEditoreeConfig.ini
    C:ProgramsEmEditoreeLM.ini
    C:ProgramsEmEditoreePlugins.ini
    C:ProgramsEmEditoreeUseIni.ini

Question: Is there a way to keep these files in a *subdirectory* instead of inside the EmEditor program root, and still have EmEditor recognize and use the files?
    The preferred way:

C:ProgramsEmEditorinifileseeCommon.ini
    C:ProgramsEmEditorinifileseeConfig.ini
    [ … and so on like this … ]

The reason for this is my system is setup to avoid backing up files that appear in a “program root” directory in order to save space. If it were possible to put them inside a *child* directory of the program root (or some other user configurable place), there would be no problem.

Thanks for any answers,

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

dreftymac wrote:
    Suppose I have emeditor using the INI files and that the location of the files is as follows:

C:ProgramsEmEditoreeCommon.ini
    C:ProgramsEmEditoreeConfig.ini
    C:ProgramsEmEditoreeLM.ini
    C:ProgramsEmEditoreePlugins.ini
    C:ProgramsEmEditoreeUseIni.ini

Question: Is there a way to keep these files in a *subdirectory* instead of inside the EmEditor program root, and still have EmEditor recognize and use the files?
    The preferred way:

C:ProgramsEmEditorinifileseeCommon.ini
    C:ProgramsEmEditorinifileseeConfig.ini
    [ … and so on like this … ]

The reason for this is my system is setup to avoid backing up files that appear in a “program root” directory in order to save space. If it were possible to put them inside a *child* directory of the program root (or some other user configurable place), there would be no problem.

Thanks for any answers,

I am sorry, there is no way to move those INI files into a subdirecotry. That is the way EmEditor recognizes the INI files without using the Registry settings. If you still need to move INI files into the subdirectory, let me know how you want EmEditor to determine where the INI files are.

dreftymac
    Participant

For this feature to be useful (to me anyway), all that would be needed is for EmEditor to check the “program root” directory for the file:

C:\%root_directory_of_emeditor_exe\%eeCommon.ini

and if the file is not found there, EmEditor could check:

C:\%root_directory_of_emeditor_exe\%settingseeCommon.ini

If the file is found in either of these two locations, EmEditor can assume the ini files are being used. If the file is *not* found in either of these two locations, EmEditor can assume the Registry. Using this approach would require only the small change to EmEditor that it checks in two places instead of just one.

Of course, some windows applications also check in the “Documents and Settings” folder of the currently-logged-in user for windows, but I don’t need anything that fancy. All that’s needed (for me) is just a way to save the ini files in some directory besides the EmEditor program root without breaking the “use INI files” feature. If this directory is “hard coded” into EmEditor, that’s not a problem, just as long as its documented somewhere so I will know where I can put the ini files.

Thanks for your reply and for considering this idea, best regards.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.