Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    spiros
    Participant

Is there a way to do that? I have a txt file tab separated with 10 columns and 100,000 rows. I tried this macro
    http://www.emeditor.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1961&forum=2 but gave me errors. I also tried Edit -> seperated values sort -> smallest to largest but the results were not good, i.e. not sorted according to length of line.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello,

If you would like to sort according to length of line, you will have to write a macro to sort in that way. Would you like me to write sucn that macro? If so, please write the specification requirements for the macro. Thank you!

spiros
    Participant

Thank you, I would appreciate it if you could. The specs is that it should be able to handle that specific file with 80 MB size, tab delimited with 10 columns, UTF-8 non-Latin text, and with line length ranging from 200 characters to 80,000.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello,

Do you need to sort by line length of a specific column, or the length of a whole line?

spiros
    Participant

Of whole line. Many thanks, much indebted.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello,

This macro should sort the selected text from long to short.

document.selection.text = ((document.selection.text.split("n")).sort(function(a,b){return b.length-a.length})).join('n');

If you want to sort lines from short to long, please use this:

document.selection.text = ((document.selection.text.split("n")).sort(function(a,b){return a.length-b.length})).join('n');

Please select the whole document (CTRL + A) before you run this macro if you want to sort the entire document.

Thanks!

spiros
    Participant

Wow, it worked in 2 seconds! Thank you so much.

Perhaps you could consider adding it as a sorting function in the “Separated values/Sort” menu item.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.