Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    harryray
    Participant

Is there any way to take out non printable (non ascii) characters from a file, if there isn’t is there any chance of including this option? By this I mean to leave only A-z and 0-9 and the option to include or exclude certain characters….I’ve been using an old programme called bintext up till now.

Thanks.

David
    Participant

As I known, in Emeditor, you can search ”

[[:cntrl:]]

in Replace dialog by using Regular Expression. Then replace with “null”(empty) or blank. All non printable will be deleted or changed to space. [[:cntrl:]] is posix character which means non-printable character.

harryray
    Participant

Thanks, that works…but what I’m after is something that will give me the choice of the characters to strip out as well as the non printable characters similar to the bintext programme.
    In the meantime do you know of the regex expression that will strip out the non printable characters and just leave me with A-Z and 0-9 (alpha numeric characters)?

harryray
    Participant

Unfortunately there is only a 64 entries limit..I want quite a lot more than that. I also need a way to back up all the entries to a text file.

harryray
    Participant

Pls ignore last comment..it was meant for my other post.

David
    Participant

Search “[[:alnum:]]” which means alpha numeric characters and then Extract to a new file.

Mr KT
    Participant

Hi harryray,

This matches all ASCII characters (from space to tilde – not my solution)
    [ -~]

By negating this, it now matches all NON-ASCII characters
    [^ -~]

>>but what I’m after is something that will give me the choice of the characters to strip out as well as the non printable characters

You should just be able to use alternation to add all the additional characters to strip out

e.g. To strip out all NON-ASCII characters and all vowels:
    [^ -~]|[aeiou]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.