Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Criss

Could someone please explain me the difference between:
    Configuration -> General -> Tab/Indent ->
    Tab columns and Indent Columns

F.e. if I set Indent Columns to 2 (Tab Columns is 8) then Increase Line Indent always inserts a tab (8 characters) and not 2 characters.
    (What I want to do ist to increase/decrease the line indent by only 2 characters without inserting tabs.)

Thanks
    Criss

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Criss wrote:
    Could someone please explain me the difference between:
    Configuration -> General -> Tab/Indent ->
    Tab columns and Indent Columns

F.e. if I set Indent Columns to 2 (Tab Columns is 8) then Increase Line Indent always inserts a tab (8 characters) and not 2 characters.
    (What I want to do ist to increase/decrease the line indent by only 2 characters without inserting tabs.)

Thanks
    Criss

I am not sure exactly what you want to do. Tab is related to the TAB key on the keyboard, and Indent is usually related to automatic displacement of the cursor when Auto Indent is enabled.

Criss

Sorry but I don’t get it:
    I enable Auto Indent and set Indent Columns to 2.
    When I then indent a line with 5 spaces the next line (pressing Enter key at the end of the first line) will be auto indented with 5 spaces and not with 2 spaces.

I thought Indent columns will affect the “Increase Line Indent” command. Which should be different to a “Insert Tab” command.
    But this seems not to be the case – so how/where can I observe the effect of the Indent Columns setting.

Thanks
    Criss

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

To observe indent feature, in the Tab/Indent dialog box:

– “Enable Auto Indent” must be checked.
    – “Begin Indent” and “End Indent” text boxes must be filled, for instance, { and }.

Then if you type, “line 1, {, line 2, line3, }, line4”, you will see

line 1
    {
    (indent) line 2
    (indent) line 3
    }
    line 4

Criss

Thanks.

Very nice, didn’t know that EmEditor can do this!

EmEditor can do so many things – seems to be always something new to learn.

Criss

Jonny

Sorry, I just don’t understand how to execute the auto indent in a file.
    I’m mostly using PHP.
    I checked “Auto indent”.
    I set begin indent to {
    I set end indent to }
    I set end of statement to ;

But there’s no change in my php file. I guess there’s a button/menu option to execute it?

I just don’t know how to execute the auto indentation.

For reference, in Eclipse you mark all text you want to auto-indent and press Ctrl-alt-f, and it does the job for you. I’m guessing this is a similar feature.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Jonny wrote:
    Sorry, I just don’t understand how to execute the auto indent in a file.
    I’m mostly using PHP.
    I checked “Auto indent”.
    I set begin indent to {
    I set end indent to }
    I set end of statement to ;

But there’s no change in my php file. I guess there’s a button/menu option to execute it?

I just don’t know how to execute the auto indentation.

For reference, in Eclipse you mark all text you want to auto-indent and press Ctrl-alt-f, and it does the job for you. I’m guessing this is a similar feature.

EmEditor cannot automatically format just by entering this information in the Tab/Indent dialog box. EmEditor will indent while you type, but not after you have finished typing. For your purpose, you will need an external tool to do formatting.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.