- September 27, 2012 at 2:32 am #10552
I think the whole purpose of upgrading is getting the new features thus I suggest turning them on be default.September 27, 2012 at 3:48 am #10554
It depends on a feature, but the “HTML Matching Tag Highlight” feature is on by default if a user freshly installs EmEditor, but off if a user upgrades. One of reasons is the data field that remembers the option is 0 (off) by default, so it needs an extra code to turn it on by default. However, the real reason is that… if the new features are on by default, many users will ask me how to turn off the new features.
In the future, I will force features on if I really want people try the new feature.
Thanks for your inputs!January 3, 2013 at 1:08 am #10696
I respectfully disagree. I use EmEditor for work and sometimes I’m on a deadline. I find it very discombobulating for things to change that I did not change.
“What the F…?” is not a positive experience for me.
…BobJanuary 3, 2013 at 6:30 am #10700
May I suggest:
* Always turn-on a new feature by default,
* on first usage of it, pop up a mini help window…
* … explaining what this feature is all about (may be pointing to its help topic)
* … how to turn it OFF
* … and how to turn it ON again
* … with a check-box that turns-off this mini-help window from ever popping up again
Please folks, your opinions!January 3, 2013 at 7:58 pm #10705
I think Meir’s suggestion makes a lot of sense, at least to me.
My concern is I never learn/pick up new changes otherwise.
Thank you for your thoughts.
PS: I think it makes sense to also pop up a release notes page (e.g. bug fixes) optionally at the end of the installation.January 4, 2013 at 3:18 am #10707
On the next major version, I am thinking about adding a dialog that allows you to decide whether you want to add cool new features or keep the same settings.
Thank you!January 4, 2013 at 9:59 am #10710
May I suggest something which is somewhat related: The “Tip-of-the-Day”.
* It should be ON by default;
* It should have a check-box titled “Do not show…”;
* The Help sub-menu should have a setting “Turn ON the ‘Tip-of-the-Day'”;
* It should preferably explain tricks not that obvious;
* It should NOT duplicate help items. These are searched for anyway…
* On the release of a new version, the tips should be about the new features;
I am sure that these forums provide a wealth of non-obvious usage of EE!January 4, 2013 at 2:20 pm #10715
May I suggest to improve the Display tab functionality in the Tools -> Properties for … Configuration(s)?
I guess it may be a lot more informative by providing a comprehensive view on how the formatted code looks like as the result of applying all the config settings, not just [like now] showing an individual setting on a single line below (obviously the view must then become larger and/or span an additional window/pre-view).
By the way, frankly, I think this may alleviate the pain of missing some important mishaps in config as for example string highlights not spanning over multiple lines (see thread http://goo.gl/xEBNk).
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.