Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    visitor

When I try to open a file that can be read by Administrator only (not User) EmEditor says that access is denied. Expected: UAC elevation request.

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hi visitor,

This situation is not supported, and it is not a bug. I don’t think this situation happens very often. EmEditor should NOT open such a file while running as a lower privilege. The only way to open such a file is to run EmEditor as an Administrator, and then you can open any files without any problems. To run EmEditor as an Administrator while logging in as a user, you can right click on the EmEditor icon while pressing SHIFT key, and then choose “Run as administrator”.

visitor

Sure, I can manually choose “Run as administrator” and I agree that it is not a bug. But why EmEditor does not elevate itself in this situation as it does when saving a file?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Unlike saving a file, reading a file is a basic function of EmEditor, and it has to read a file anytime while EmEditor is running. If EmEditor needs to elevate itself, it should stay as elevated status all the time until EmEditor closes. This situation is also dangerous when EmEditor opens other files at the same time.

Furthermore, I believe it is a very rare case, so I wouldn’t put much effort to enable this kind of situations. Rather, I would like to put that effort to something else more important to other people.

visitor

Yutaka wrote:
    If EmEditor needs to elevate itself, it should stay as elevated status all the time until EmEditor closes.

Doesn’t EmEditor use EEAdmin to achieve Administrator rights? It is elevated only once to read the file and then it closes. This technique is safe because it is used when saving a file. Also it is not rare case, e.g. Passwords.txt. Please, think about this feature in future versions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.