Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Spector
    Participant

What is a “solution”? How and why do workspaces and projects differ?

(I want “projects” to mean sets of files and other (parent) projects, along with a file that contains lines that expand to folder views (folder and file trees), comments, and system commands (to show files in browsers, compile and build projects, etc.). Multiple projects can be opened at the same time, in different groups of tabs. <flame>No editor seems to offer this, and I don’t have the time to create my own editor. So frustrating.</flame>)

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

“Solutions” and “projects” are used for the Projects plug-in, while workspaces are used within the core of EmEditor. A solution is a group of projects, similar to Visual Studio solution. Does this make sense?

David Spector
    Participant

I can’t say this makes complete sense. Workspaces and projects seem documented as being the same (lists of folders and files). Solutions seem like difficult-to-specify lists of commands to build a product.

What I would like to support my projects is like your Workspace plus the ability to execute commands, open a folder, open a file, browse to a file, and execute a Windows system command by putting the cursor (caret) on a string in a file that contains the command or file and pressing a key. Also it should be possible to edit the folders and files in a project, open more than one project at a time, and group tabs according to project (or at least have separate windows for each open project).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.