Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    doctorow
    Participant

With the recent release of EmEditor 10 I begin to worry if EmEditor is going to suffer from the same issue that its main competitor is suffering from: bloat. Don’t get me wrong – I think EmEditor is an excellent product and I have been closely following its development since version 6. Now with 10 being released, we see a new feature to compare files. I personally use Beyond Compare if I ever need to compare files, and so I wonder – this is only a suggestion – wouldn’t it be possible to implement such features in a way that they are dynamically loaded, like plugins that can be uninstalled if undesired?

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your concern. But don’t worry. I make sure the text editor launches as fast as previous versions every time when I upgrade.

Here is the average launch time for each major version. I tested on a Virtual Machine (average time except the first launch).

v8.06 —— 0.110 sec
    v9.17 —— 0.104 sec
    v10 RC18 — 0.083 sec

As you can see, the launch speed is about the same within error. The test shows v10 is actually faster than v9 in launch speed. This is I believe because it gets rid of Diff plug-in, and several localized DLLs for plug-ins have been deprecated and combined with the core locale file (emedloc.dll). But I would say this is still in error range.

When I add a new feature, I always consider optimization, and I wouldn’t add a feature that might make the overall program slower. The code needed for comparison feature was not as much as you might think, and all the code for the UI (dialog boxes) were added as DLL files (emeddlgt.dll and emeddlgs.dll). On the other hand, plug-ins have to be loaded at launch time because EmEditor needs to show icons and text for the menus. I am going to further optimize for the speed in future versions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.