How to increase virtual memory
If an error message similar to “The paging file is too small for this operation to complete” or “Your computer is low on memory” appears while opening a very large file, you will need to increase the physical or virtual memory. We recommend increasing the physical memory (RAM) in your PC first. If the error still persists or if you are unable to increase the physical memory, we recommend increasing the virtual memory. To increase the virtual memory, please follow the steps below:
1. Press Win(⊞)+R keys to bring up the Run dialog box, and enter SystemPropertiesPerformance.exe to display the Performance Options dialog box.
2. Select the Advanced tab of the Performance Options dialog box.
3. Click the Change button in the Virtual memory box.
4. Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.
5. Select the Custom size, and enter recommended numbers to Initial size (MB) and Maximum size (MB) boxes. We recommend entering a same large number to both Initial size (MB) and Maximum size (MB) boxes. For example, enter 80000 to both boxes.
6. Click OK and restart Windows.
7. Try opening the large file with EmEditor again. If the error persists, please repeat the above steps to increase the virtual memory size until the error disappears.