Yang Yang
Participant

Right. I think the Find toolbar’s current value and history should not (better not) be modified whenever Ctrl-F or Ctrl-H is used.

When these Find/Replace utilities were designed, what’s the assumed way to differentiate between them? Here is my habit:

Use the Find toolbar for “valuable search”, including:

– Phrases used again and again, like “TODO” in the source code.
– Something hard to get right at once, like regular expressions. (Edited elsewhere and pasted into Find toolbar.)
– Quick short memo, noticeable whenever I raise my eyes or press Ctrl-D. (Dangerous abuse, but it works perfectly.)

On the other hand, Ctrl-F is also used often, but mostly for one-shot things. Its current value (and history) mean much less, partly because it’s hidden for most of the time, and partly because it automatically picks up the word at caret. (For v10, there may be a bug with the Find dialog that causes some regexp search phrases to be lost in the history. But that has become history. :) )

Therefore, synchronizing values in between totally destroys this habit, with seemingly no benefit in return.

I sincerely wish there could be an option to stop it. After using v16.9 for one day I’ve become deeply afraid of Ctrl-F and Ctrl-H. :)