Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

I was trying to find a specific instance of something fairly common in a set of about 20 documents that were distributed across multiple folders. I brought them up in EmEditor, and was able to search across them for my string, but it would have been extremely helpful to have the Find in Files-style output where the hits are hot-clickable, instead of extracting matches, copying the entire line and searching for that.

Spending some time debating between the Find and the Find In Files Dialog boxes. In the end, I thought this sort of functionality made the most sense in the Find In Files Dialog.

Please consider for a future release.

Thanks,
    Paul

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Paul,

In case you are not aware of already, you can use the Search plug-in to do the same.

Thank you!

Paul
    Participant

Yutaka,

I don’t see how. The search plug in provides me the file name and line position, but that the actual text of the line. In my task, I needed to search for a certain word that was used in variety of ways, and then edit only a particular usage. Looking at the context of the usage was the only way to determine which matches where the ones I wanted. The Search plugin only gives me the filename, and I see no options to change that output.

The Find Dialog box Extract gave me the text, but not the file name. Find in Files provides both of values, and allows me to quickly scan all the possible matches, click on the ones that need changed, and go directly to that line. That is the functionality I was looking for, but Find in Files casts too broad a net. It is not possible, as far as I could see, to only look in the Open Documents.

Thanks,
    Paul

Yutaka Emura
    Keymaster

Hello Paul,

I understand. I will think about that in future versions.

Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.